How close is Wachovia to becoming the next WM?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by axehawk, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Manni

Manni

how could it possible fail when we have a shrting ban!!!

#31     Sep 29, 2008
  2. Toonces

Toonces

OK so it's still going to zero.

#32     Sep 29, 2008
  3. m22au

m22au

It was down so much because the NY Times article mentioned Treasury involvement in the Citigroup acquisition. Therefore it was easy to conclude that there would be a deal sooner rather than later

#33     Sep 29, 2008
  4. GTS

GTS

I dunno until we read the details but so far it doesn't look like there is any money being offered to shareholders, they did mention bondholders:

09/29/2008 08:20 *DJ Citi To Assume Wachovia Senior, Subordinated Debt

Citigroup Inc. To Acquire Banking Operations Of Wachovia
    Last update: 9/29/2008 8:28:39 AM

DOW JONES NEWSWIRES
    WASHINGTON (Dow Jones)--The Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. on Monday announced that Citigroup Inc. (C) will acquire the banking operations of Wachovia Corp. (WB). The FDIC said the deal was reached in concurrence with it, the Federal Reserve Board and the U.S. Treasury Department. "There will be no interruption in services and bank customers should expect business as usual," FDIC Chairwoman Sheila Bair said. "On the whole, the commercial banking system in the U.S. remains well capitalized," Bair said. "This morning's decision was made under extraordinary circumstances with significant consultation among the regulators and Treasury." Citigroup will acquire most of Wachovia's assets and liabilities, the FDIC said, including five depository institutions and senior and subordinated debt issued by Wachovia. Wachovia will continue to own AG Edwards and Evergreen, the agency added. The agreement means Citigroup will absorb $42 billion in Wachovia losses on a $312 billion pool of loans. The FDIC said it will absorb any losses that go beyond that figure. Wachovia shares plummeted steadily in premarket activity, off 82% to $1.85 recently. Citigroup was up 1.8% to $20.50.

#34     Sep 29, 2008
  5. This looks very interesting to me:

"Citigroup has granted the FDIC $12 billion in preferred stock and warrants to compensate the FDIC for bearing the risk, according to the press release."

Has this been done before?

#35     Sep 29, 2008
  6. Cool!

#36     Sep 29, 2008
  7. m22au

m22au

I am a little confused here. If:

(1) the AG Edwards business still exists and
    (2) Citigroup assumes the debt

then what does the balance sheet look like?

ie, what liabilities will be funding the AG Edwards business?

#37     Sep 29, 2008
  8. Daal

Daal

C is going to be the short of a lifetime when they lift the ban

#38     Sep 29, 2008
  9. m22au

m22au

why is that Daal?

#39     Sep 29, 2008
  10. GTS

GTS

I can't believe Citi is assuming all these additional liabilities when it has its own balance sheet problems.

#40     Sep 29, 2008