How can you not trace a 900 point Flash Crash//Monday 3 PM

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Ayn Rand, Feb 6, 2018.

1. tomorton

tomorton

I take it they're saying they can't trace the event to either deliberate depression of the market or an accidental sell campaign. Obviously given time every order can be traced. But what's the point? It does seem this was just a market functioning as a market - at the limit of its behaviour patterns - but its still just the market being the market.

#11     Feb 7, 2018
    SunTrader likes this.
  2. So the idea behind this is that it's ok for the market to rally to the moon, but when it corrects, whoever sold is a criminal?

OK got it

#12     Feb 7, 2018
    SunTrader likes this.
  3. Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand

Most here are right - it is what it is. Things happen. I was just curious.

I was interested in the mechanics of running the book. To my knowledge all of the Flashes are to the down side.

There seems that there would be a lot of market orders instead of limit orders which I would think unusual.

Put another way - if you want to down the market 800 points in 10 mins, what would you look for in market conditions and how would you do it?

#13     Feb 7, 2018
  4. tomorton

tomorton

No, genuine selling is no crime. Accidental sales due to "fat finger syndrome" is no crime. But generating unsustainable sell orders to artificially depress prices is a crime.

#14     Feb 7, 2018
  5. sprstpd

sprstpd

What about generating unsustainable buy orders to artificially inflate prices? Just checking.

#15     Feb 7, 2018
    athlonmank8, Gotcha and SunTrader like this.
  6. SunTrader

SunTrader

Long only "traders" are always a dead give away.

#16     Feb 7, 2018
    athlonmank8 likes this.
  7. tomorton

tomorton

Same.

#17     Feb 7, 2018