How can I learn C# from scratch? Thinking of transferring to NinjaTrader

Discussion in 'App Development' started by RosyScenario, Feb 3, 2017.

1. After many years trading futures with Interactive Brokers I need to transfer my futures trading account out of IB (enough is enough!). But I need to replicate my Excel-based trading method. Although there are other brokers that offer Excel-based APIs, as near as I can tell no other broker offers an Excel-based API that can both place and cancel and/or modify orders. And that is what I need. So, I'm thinking of going with NinjaTrader as they require only exchange-minimum margins and they only charge $0.53 per side for ES after buying a Lifetime license.

However, I will need to program NT and apparently it uses C#. I have minimal programming knowledge (just some Excel) but have no problem putting in the effort to learn C# if pointed in the right direction. So, before I transfer my account, is there some resource that I can find or buy (preferably--but not necessarily--focused on trading) where I can learn C# and that assumes no prior programming knowledge?

2. jj90

jj90

Take an entry level programming course at your local college. Pays off dividends in the long run

3. kmiklas

kmiklas

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    221bazookas likes this.

4. I look at examples of code and learn from existing strategies that are coded. I wish I could truly program instead of hiring people to code only parts of concepts. I leave things out in the code so it becomes useless when applied by others.

Ninjatrader has a nice forum to look at code of others. If I could truly code, I can only imagine the results.

5. ET180

ET180

Lots of lectures on Youtube. But to really begin to understand it, you have to do the programming assignments.

6. algofy

algofy

Well learn to code then!

MoneyMatthew likes this.
  7. ET180

ET180

It's worth learning.

8. I'm 45, with 5 kids from ages 3-12..I only truly have time after everyone is asleep.

Will try to get the kids into it early, programming and quant finance/AI.. just want to be around long enough to pass on what I know.

SimpleMeLike likes this.
  9. Thanks everyone for your helpful responses. Am I correct in assuming that there is no book for learning programming in C# that is appropriate for someone with little or no prior programming knowledge?

10. This one was recommended to me.

#10     Feb 3, 2017