How can I get live real time data without paying extra fees?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by curiousv, Feb 1, 2019.

1. RKJSF

RKJSF

Actually, TOS allows free real-time data by just opening up an account. No deposit needed (I'm assuming you need to deposit something to keep the account open as they might close inactive accounts).

But I am currently using TOS paper trading and I get access to real-time data (no level 2). You just have to call them in and they will convert it all to real-time. Hope this helps.

#11     Feb 1, 2019
    Nobert likes this.
  2. Nobert

Nobert

Today ( finally ), i instaled think or swim demo by TDAmeritrade ( was not allowed in my previous country ) , tho the setup is not that comfortable compered with IB, ( you can't customize it that much, ex, window sizes, locations ? ), the orders are filled instantly compared with IB demo ( where sometimes i waited 10 mins for 500 KO shares o_O ).

The spreads also are as is it should be imho, where as ex you're buying hmnn 1000 of GE / 300 AMD, the market orders are filled at reasonable prices.

Hmnn couldn't yet find how to create a window screen of BUY/SELL etc, next to chart, so had to do it via right mouse.

Same data, just 20 mins too late, so what's the diff, for practice purpose.

#12     Feb 1, 2019
    MarkBrown likes this.
  3. It's hard to get free data, especially if you are looking for intraday data. Good thing is you can get great vendors who have competent offers, maybe you can try taking advantage of this.

#13     Feb 1, 2019
  4. RKJSF

RKJSF

To get a buy / sell options on the right of chart, click "Active Trader" on the right hand side when under the Chart tab. You can click Level 2 to get the bids / asks but I don't think its true Level 2. Click times and sales for the tape. You can make a screen have 2 (1x1) windows or 4 windows (2x2) by clicking the square on teh top right above Patterns.

To add RSI / VWAP / EMA / SMA, Click Studies and search for them. To make it so Volume shows up on the chart, click the settings tab next to the "time frame" button, and click "Overlap Volume".

Edit: TO GET LIVE DATA, you must REGISTER an ACTUAL account with TD Ameritrade and than give them a call to request for live data for paper trading. IF YOU JUST DOWNLOAD THE PROGRAM without making an actual TDA account, you will have 20min delayed data.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    #14     Feb 1, 2019
  5. Metamega

Metamega

May I suggest just buying the data... it’s just part of the business.

The amount of time people spend looking for free stock data.

Makes me wonder if most these guys have internet at home or just chase Macdonald’s wifi around.

#15     Feb 1, 2019
    Overnight and Nobert like this.
  6. Nobert

Nobert

I see,i will apply that on monday, thank you a lot RKJSF.

#16     Feb 1, 2019
  7. Nobert

Nobert

lol

#17     Feb 1, 2019
  8. curiousv

curiousv

I just realized yahoo finance gives real time data.
    So I guess one can use that data to see real time data on chart and trade with any other broker?

#18     Feb 1, 2019
  9. Nobert

Nobert

Phone mobile version candles moves real time, 1 min timeframe, the web browser, mozilla for me, has to be reloaded tho, for candles to update, beside web version, is little bit late than mobile, ( i kept phone next to laptop screen today,both on AMD 1 min, mozilla was late. )

Also desktop browser version , sometimes , mess up thrend lines, ( happens on IB demo as well, once , all thrend lines were gone at all ), where on mobile yahoo version, you can't place thrend lines at all ( ? ), you can do it on traderview.com tho.

#19     Feb 1, 2019
  10. ZBZB

ZBZB

Two screens, real-time yahoo/Medved on one, your broker on the other. Medved may send orders to your broker as well. Interactive brokers maybe cheaper though as the real time data and real time charts are free if you trade enough. Medved is $19.99 a month.

#20     Feb 1, 2019
    curiousv likes this.