How can a put decay if price goes down and there is more than enough time value left?

Discussion in 'Options' started by Arjun1, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Volatility is key. Review some option theory.

#11     Jun 22, 2011
  2. losers average losers - PTJ

#12     Jun 23, 2011
  3. Wow, I've never seen that quote before! Did you discover it yourself?

#13     Jun 23, 2011
  4. Arjun1

Arjun1

I can 100% guarantee anyone that PTJ averages losers all the time up to a limit.
    You just don't trade 10-20 billion by going "all in" into every position, that's just not possible.
    And scaling in by averaging up is just as "risky" as averaging down. With averaging up your increasing your cost basis in a way that each new add has lower profit potential and thus the slightest pullback wipes out all your profits.

#14     Jun 23, 2011
  5. spindr0

spindr0

Good job! :)

#15     Jun 23, 2011
  6. spindr0

spindr0

Taking any position in the market is risky so why single out averaging up?

Averaging up is a good thing if you are riding a move. Ditto for a down move. If you scale incrementally and run a tight stop, only a gap will take all your profits away.

#16     Jun 23, 2011
  7. Blotto

Blotto

Trading size has different considerations, which do not apply to the vast majority of independent traders. I'm sure when PJT starts to build a position he has an idea of the available liquidity in the market to get on his position at an acceptable average price which he can estimate in advance.

#17     Jun 23, 2011
  8. No. It's a famous saying (and true!) from him. Here ya go. No I didn't photoshop this.

Arjun - there is a diff b/w building a position over a few days b/c you run so much money you can't buy all in one day and receiving various fills, some at lower prices than continuing to buy over weeks and months as price continually goes against you like bill miller did w/ aig, fre, fnm, etc.

Re posters saying averaging up is a dangerous as averaging down, no it's not. when price is continually falling the market by definition is telling you that you are wrong. when price is continually rising the market by definition is telling you that you are right. if any other profession you would stop doing something if you kept being punished for it but not trading. and don't say "trading is diff b/c the stock could rebound". i agree it could rebound but why don't you want for CONFIRMATION before entering. it could be so easy a caveman could do it like this "i don't know where the bottom is so i'll wait until the price closes above the 20 DMA then i will place a stop 2 atr below that. if i'm stopped out i know the downtrend has resumed and i'm out".

i'm not trying to start a flame war just bring another perspective.

#18     Jun 24, 2011
  9. I was being sarcastic, but went over your head -- my bad... The PTJ saying has been repeated 10000x over the past 20+ years. It's like "the trend is your friend." I was amazed you (or anyone) could think it was fresh info.

#19     Jun 24, 2011
  10. CvanToor

CvanToor

Black Scholes

Call

Asset price ( S ) 80,00
    Strike price ( X ) 100,00
    Time to maturity ( T ) 1,0000
    Risk-free rate ( r ) 3,00%
    Cost of carry ( b ) 2,00%
    Volatility ( s ) 60,00%
    Value 13,0014