How busy are you during the trading day?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by lescor, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Mecro

Mecro

I second that. Love that game, still have it.

#31     Apr 25, 2003
  2. trader3

trader3

Okay, since you're on the straight and narrow, let me say the same thing in more black and white terms. If the market is slow or boring and doesn't seem to present any opportunities to a particular trader, what is wrong with them taking a break and doing something light while they rest their mind and then continue later. No athlete performs at their best without rest. It's a rare individual who performs optimally with their nose to the grindstone all the time. Many people do a lot better by mixing intense periods of focus with short periods of no responsibility. The same person who may play some video games or bake some cookies for an hour in the middle of a slow trading day may spend three hours after dinner examining charts. And you may get not get a shot at them when they are resting and they may well out trade you during the times they are trading.

It's quite possible they love what they do, but not if they do it non stop every minute the market is open. They may also trade other markets at times you are not trading. I am not trying to sound rude or critical, but have you ever considered that being a bit more flexible in your thinking could enhance your trading abilities?

#32     Apr 25, 2003
  3. Mecro

Mecro

[

#33     Apr 25, 2003
  4. I understand your point. I agree that focus all the time with no down time can and probably will lead to fatigue and errors. I strive to overcome that daily. I also understand that an break during the day can help some people. I don't understand those who break during the day because there is no opportunity or because trading sucks or whatever. If it is a preplanned decision for specific reasons, then ok take your break. I understand that some trade different markets than me at different hours. While trading whatever market you trade, then give it your 100%. Don't do it half assed. I may be too hardcore for some. I know that.

#34     Apr 25, 2003
  5. Me, too. I used to play it a lot before Generals came out. I've been playing C&C games since the first C&C. Actually, even before that, since I had the original Dune 2 (which C&C was based on).

In Yuri's Revenge, I once beat rank #2 (in the world of many thousands) on Westwood's ranking system. I freaking ROCK at that game. My style is Allies using France. I'm an unstoppable cannon walker with many other tricks up my sleeve. It's so sad, now that the game is getting old. I was SO FREAKING GOOD at that game and my skills won't matter anymore as the game dies and no one plays it. I suppose I could move on to Generals...

If only I could be as good at trading as I was at that game. Maybe someday...

ROCK

#35     Apr 25, 2003
  6. Again, you missed the point. First, if you focused on trading, then maybe you wouldn't need the second job. But that is just talk.

My point is not to trade at all times. I agree that trading in the middle of the day is dangerous and you do not have the probabilities of success on your side. My pont is to be there and be ready in case a good opportunity presents itself or in case you can learn something from observastion.

If you continue to take it personally you will never understand my point. I don't ask you to agree with it, just understand it.

If you were introspective enough or open minded enough to really think about what I said rather than dismiss it out of hand as "militant bullshit" you might learn something.

#36     Apr 25, 2003
  7. Mecro

Mecro

AHHHHHH

You one of those faget French turtles

I hate you, I hate you

j/k

Get Generals. At first it seems awkward and too much like Starcraft, but it's an awesome game. The 3 sides design is genius and very C&C like since there are significant differences in the battling style of each different faction.

GLA is awesome. They got anthrax, car bombs, terrorists and even SCUDs.

#37     Apr 25, 2003
  8. Generals is ok but Battle.net is really awesome for network gaming.

#38     Apr 25, 2003
  9. Mecro

Mecro

You militant psycho

"Again, you missed the point. First, if you focused on trading, then maybe you wouldn't need the second job. But that is just talk."

Missed the point? You came off as an Islam fanatic. Here is a newsflash you genius mind could not consider. I just started 3 months ago and am still in the learning phases. Still trading smaller sizes so that I make my mistakes now not later.
    Oh and I make over 50 grand at my second job and get dinner and car service. So it is not worth quitting so that I can study charts all evening, when it more than covers the bills.

"My point is not to trade at all times. I agree that trading in the middle of the day is dangerous and you do not have the probabilities of success on your side. My pont is to be there and be ready in case a good opportunity presents itself or in case you can learn something from observastion."

Observation? Can you even read? Here let me help you out cause it seems like too many sentences in a paragraph hurt your observation
    "If smth good is moving, there is such a thing as Alt+Tab and I have actually traded and played an online game (no pause) at the same time. Didnt lose money but do not recommend it unless you wanna feel some adrenaline."

Wait maybe you with such genius insights has problems comprehending what I said. Alt+Tab, switches programs so within a second I can either be playing the game and trading. Sometimes I've made money, sometimes I churn a little but I never ever got hurt doing that. Maybe my brain is just that fast where I do not have to go into a "day-trader" trance.

"If you continue to take it personally you will never understand my point. I don't ask you to agree with it, just understand it."

In that case, maybe you should have started your post in the tone "I do not think it is a good idea to...."

"If you were introspective enough or open minded enough to really think about what I said rather than dismiss it out of hand as "militant bullshit" you might learn something."

Interestingly enough, you received a number of responses in the same tone as mine. What you said sounded like complete militant bullshit.

You know one of the things I love my trading job is the environment. The fact that when it is slow, I can do whatever if I feel like it.
    By the way, I bought an external CD Drive to play games for my work computer mainly because I would trade too much during lunch and end up churning and losing money. Online PC games is the only thing that would keep me away from trading in periods I really should not. Maybe I'm more dedicated than you think.

#39     Apr 25, 2003
  10. Discipline,

I have mixed feelings about your approach. I do feel that trading is like anything else, if it's worth doing, it's worth doing well. And I see an awful lot of traders who would like to be successful, but don't want to spend the time or money to do things I consider basic, like backtesting and having decent s/w.

Where I part company is the unspoken belief that work equals success. Nothing could be further from the truth in trading. In fact, that is one of the great things about trading. There is a certain unfairness in it, to be sure. But we are judged on our bottom line, not by how we did it.

At the end of the day, it's about the money. Everything else is crap.

#40     Apr 25, 2003