How best to avoid slippage when automating?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by schizo, Dec 12, 2019.

1. %%
    OK you most likely mean slippage in a negative way.
    Every now +then one can close a long when its going up=positVe slippage some times.[Myself, i like negative slippage,some, which happens selling/exit on somewhat a of a pullback, but i tend to like liquid top trenders/top frienders..........................................................................................]

#11     Dec 27, 2019
  2. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

well i should have qualified i was talking about slippage on entries only. sorry bout that...

#12     Dec 27, 2019
    murray t turtle likes this.
  3. %% Fine;
    i dont get positiVe exit slippage real often also.LOL:D:D, :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

#13     Dec 27, 2019
    MarkBrown likes this.
  4. Sdoofy

Sdoofy

Hello, really interesting discussion. Some of you have rightfully mentioned the need to use BID/ASK at tick level in order to get more realistic backtests. That is very much what I am trying to do but couldn t fin any backtest tools (ideally in Python) that would take this type of data as input. Perhaps I have been looking in the wrong places and I was wondering whether you could point me in the right direction?

#14     Nov 11, 2020
  5. BIG1RED9

BIG1RED9

Limit orders

#15     Dec 20, 2020
    murray t turtle likes this.
  6. If Python didn’t work for you, there are like plenty of other options out there. Just google ‘best backtesting software’ and you’ll find some quality results that you can use to your benefit.

#16     Jan 6, 2021
  7. Try backtrader, zipline, pinkfish, zvt, etc. There are so many of these. Why stop at one place right? Keep exploring and experimenting. Good luck, mate.

#17     Jan 7, 2021
  8. MarkDawn

MarkDawn

Backtesting a strategy is a good way of keeping an eye on your trades. I backtest to even as far as a whole year before putting to use any new strategy on either of my accounts ICM or Fxview. Backtesting.py should have worked for you but if it hasn’t, why don’t you look for some other models on the website. As much as I can recall, there were some feasible options there.

#18     Jan 7, 2021
  9. I’m not very experienced so maybe I’m wrong but does backtesting really help? Isn’t there a lot of bias that creeps in?

#19     Jan 8, 2021
  10. Focus on perfecting your strategies if you are new I would say, and when you do get to an advanced level, try python and other alternatives. You will definitely find them helpful.

#20     Jan 11, 2021