how backward is the us in science? 3% of evangelical christians believe evolution.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Jun 30, 2011.

1. really? i spent some time last winter in fort meyers florida. drove through some black areas touring. one thing i noticed. one crappy run down school but a churches everywhere. it has an effect.

now we find ourselves in the tech era. we need scientists. how can we educate a child in science if he is taught by his church that the bedrock of biology, evolution, is false?

#21     Jun 30, 2011
  2. Max E.

Max E.

+1, thx for bringing some common sense to this argument.

#22     Jun 30, 2011
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

You dodged my point. What is it with you. Do you really, honestly think religion is the biggest of our concerns? Dude, go take a look at some of these poor black schools. Some of them have drop out rates pushing 90% Yes 90%!!!! Some of these kids leave high school completely illiterate! You are proving once again how completely dishonest you are. How the flying f*ck can we have scientists when most of our kids struggle to read and write and do basic math, yes basic math!

#23     Jun 30, 2011
  4. it is the duty of the press to point out absurdity. if you dont want to be ridiculed dont say ridiculous things.

#24     Jun 30, 2011
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

Now you are a member of the press? LOL.

#25     Jun 30, 2011
  6. this op was about evangelicals most of whom are are well of whites in good schools. if we turn them off to science because of religious teaching the poor blacks in bad schools sure will not take up the slack.

#26     Jun 30, 2011
  7. Max E.

Max E.

Well said.... this was exactly the point i was trying to make originally. We dont have a problem with too much "religion" in school. We have a problem with too many students not being able to read/write, and Vhehn is too goddamn blind to admit it, he somehow thinks religion is the problem.

I say this as a person who is not religious.

#27     Jun 30, 2011
  8. you are the one who sprouted off and turned this into a conservative vs liberal education pissing match.

#28     Jun 30, 2011
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

You have zero evidence that shows why kids are choosing to go or not go into science studies. For example, one of the biggest things to hurt us in the math and science areas is not religion, but Wall Street. Jim Simmons of Renascence Capital has long talked about how some of the best and brightest are lured out of schools in to Wall Street to chase the almighty dollar. That has had a much bigger impact on your so-called problem, then religion.

#29     Jun 30, 2011
  10. Max E.

Max E.

So your posts are bi-partisan then?

I would not expect someone to think i am an impatial observer given the fact that i regularly get int arguments with liberals.

Do you think you should get treated with "kiddie" gloves when you make posts slandering conservatives?

#30     Jun 30, 2011