How are you better than other traders?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Liberty Market Investment, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Overnight

Overnight

:strong::banghead::fistbump::thumbsup:

I think that means, in the new parlance, that I strongly bash my head into a wall, while punching you and think it is ok?

Wait...

:strong::banghead::fistbump::D:thumbsup:

So that is strongly bashing my head into the wall while punching you in the face and it is ok?

Did I get it right?

:vomit:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    #41     Sep 17, 2020
  2. Tradex

Tradex

Well, it is never a good idea to mess with Clint Eastwood... :D

Jokes aside, your index strategy has indeed the time on its side, the S&P 500 never failed to produce a positive return in any 20-year period.

So yes, time in this case is an edge, so to speak, if the trader can stomach the occasional long and severe drawdowns.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    #42     Sep 17, 2020
  3. Overnight

Overnight

Ahh, so that means I can :fistbump::finger::wtf:?

NVM, I just noticed this is strat building section, and I am now spamming OT. My bad.

Carry on. (I don't want to get a demerit from Magma)

#43     Sep 17, 2020
  4. Tradex

Tradex

I wouldn't count on that buy and hope strategy alone, especially if the investor is going to retire in 10 years or so.

But if you are young it is still one of the best way to invest for the long term and beat inflation.

#44     Sep 17, 2020
    777 likes this.
  5. My advantage over most other retail traders is that I understand how to build a trading system that relies on fairly simple trading rules, but is free from the usual errors people make (overfitting, spending too much on trading costs, and using too much leverage). This knowledge is widely and freely available (indeed, I've spent most of the last six to seven years disseminating it further), so there is no 'edge' here per se. But I have also learned that above all if you are trading systematically, you should stick to the system. The ability to do that is probably my clear advantage.

Interestingly, my advantage over institutional traders is exactly the same. As an institutional fund manager I was under constant implicit or explicit pressure from clients to ignore / tweak / refit / change the system every time there was a drawdown. That was because (a) they didn't understand how the system worked, and (b) as a consequence they didn't trust it. As someone who is trading their own system I don't have these problems.

GAT

#45     Sep 18, 2020
    Slope Trader, yc47ib, They and 4 others like this.
  6. Why do you need an advantage over other traders?

Assuming a liquid market - you can buy and sell at will, yes?

#46     Sep 18, 2020
  7. themickey

themickey

It's a good thing being able to trade your way, your methods, no external pressures, no expectations or time restraints, no criticisms, not having to answer to someone, not having to justify.

#47     Sep 18, 2020
  8. danielc1

danielc1

My edge is that I'm a member of the elite trader forum and therefore know more then any other fellow trader, even if he is also a member of the forum.

#48     Sep 18, 2020
  9. Turveyd

Turveyd

Don't look at me man, my opinion don't matter, I just watch the squiggly flashing lines no hang on that's not even a chart, that's why I've been sucking so badly for 10years, why am I so so so very stupid.

#49     Sep 18, 2020
    FWBGBS and comagnum like this.
  10. camera

camera

I would never think that I am a better trader than other but all I can say is that I am better than I was back then and wants to gradually getting better in time.

#50     Sep 18, 2020
    FWBGBS and fargone like this.