How about starting a private fund?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by mrman500, Oct 11, 2008.

1. If your drawdown is 45% in such a short time, it means your return is not 300%. You are way overleveraged.

Think 10% drawdown, and divide your 300% by 4.5. NOW you are talking about your realistic returns.

And of course, you have been doing this a short time (your next drawdown may be 90%!!!) with small amounts of money (things change a lot when using bigger lots). Divide AGAIN your annual return by 2 for managing 10X times more money for a longterm situation.

This is what I think you are much closer to.

It is called "reality"

#41     Oct 12, 2008
  2. All that education and still has to raise $100,000? I guess that is like a real smart guy with a phd in physical education thinking he can compete with Michael Jordon....

Good luck sir.

#42     Oct 12, 2008
  3. mike007

mike007

Sometimes its better to be lucky than smart.

#43     Oct 12, 2008
  4. efranco

efranco

I believe that an education means nothing in this business. I have clients that are worth millions upon millions of dollars and some of them never even finished high school. Shot I never even finished college, but i was very lucky to have some clients that believe in me and give me a chance and in the beginning before i started my fund i traded some of their money in a pool and I remember having losses for my first 4 months. But they hung in there and encouraged me to keep going, now they are my best clients and trust me with even more.

The best thing that I did was concentrate on RISK MANAGEMENT and not give up. remember that your returns don't mean as much as how you can manage risk. You should read Van Tharp : Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom or The Operational Risk Manager's Guide by Sergio Scandizzo or Financial Risk Manager Handbook by Philippe Jorion

I think the last one you will understand pretty well since you have an engineering background, if you don't you will have a tough time because it is all math and cal but you MUST read the Van Tharp one to get a base of risk it is the key to the door of risk concepts and the others are very technical parts of it.

-Emiliano

#44     Oct 12, 2008