How about starting a private fund?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by mrman500, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Really what's the point?

IF, IF you are making 300% per annum well even ith $10,000 you will nbe past that $100,000 in a few years and you keep all the profits....

$100,000 isn't worth it and makes no sense at all.

And..you wil lneed a fw years results..a few months means "jack"

#11     Oct 12, 2008
  2. I know that 300% is not repeatable but 30%-50% might be.

A 40 % ROI for 2009 on $ 100,000 fund size should attract additional funds from those investors in 2010 as well as helping to build a more marketable track record.

#12     Oct 12, 2008
  3. I'm not sure what you are looking for here. Of course a 1 year track record with a small stake is totally meaningless. Most accredited investors are accredited
    because they aren't stupid with money.

#13     Oct 12, 2008
  4. caroy

caroy

Does anyone thing with all the market instability and the baby boom generation about to hit retirement that there will be new avenues for CTAs and pool managers outside the traditional structures.

What I mean by this is investing in commodity pools with high minimums puts it outside the range of most. CTA's with 300k minimums could be lopped in that boat. Maybe there is a growing market for CTAs willing to take smaller accounts of the 10k minimum. Maybe not.

Any thoughts?

#14     Oct 12, 2008
  5. 40%....even that is pushing it I think for a stock trading account..It's all about risk/reward..if you are making 40% what drawdowns (losses) are u living with?

As another question what is reasonable % r.o.I for a fund investing say $30M? 20%,25%?

#15     Oct 12, 2008

6. yes, here are a few of those really 'not-so-stupid' accredited investors, putting their hard-earned money to work with the likes of managers with superior results and stellar pedigrees.

http://www.housingwire.com/2007/08/13/more-hedge-fund-trouble-goldman-puts-up-3-billion/

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/sep2007/gb20070911_674570.htm

http://www.star-telegram.com/business/story/937011.html

one can certainly add the legions of investemnt managers that oversee the tens of thousands of pension fund plans, with those 'safe' portfolios chalk-full of 'balanced' assets, that include global markets, bonds of every stripe, some alternative investment vehicles, real estate, etc. And to be fair, lets not leave mutual fund managers out of the mix, or 'others', like Ken Fischer, for example...surely their investment acumen is shining thru like a beacon.

seems they have everything in there but downside protection.

wtg, masters of the universe one and all

if you ask me, the so-called smart money crowd are currently the most scared group of investors, as their losses are as a group nothing less then monumental, as their assets are being torched, and they watch with horror as their 'way of life' is being threatened.

before this is over, we will see some big-name folks, that can be considered to have belonged in the 'accredited investor class' forced into beggary.

trickle down economics, anyone?

#16     Oct 12, 2008
  7. Regarding drawdown, I glanced at my monthly statements & found that my worst month end found me down 45%.

Please keep in mind that I am not trying to attract 7 figures, only $100,000.00.

#17     Oct 12, 2008
  8. rosy2

rosy2

it would be easier to attract 1000000 than 100000. You're basically telling people you suck right off the bat. With 100k, what could you hope to get out of this ... 10 thousand for yourself?

#18     Oct 12, 2008
  9. Thanks rosy2. A million bucks would be too big for me at this point. I would like to grow accustomed to 6 figures before seeking 7 figures.

Besides, if I manage $100,000 well, going to the next level should be easier.

I am interested in long term relationships, not one night stands.

#19     Oct 12, 2008
  10. I am interested with one night with your significant other.

#20     Oct 12, 2008