How about a half E-mini contract?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by lindq, Sep 12, 2009.

1. lindq

lindq

E-mini futures are a great instrument, but the problem is that a single contract is creating exposure to roughly 50K of the S&P.

The problem? Lack of flexbility in position sizing, scaling in and out, risk control, etc.

I have no doubt that this is one reason why leveraged ETFs like SSO are now trading 10s of millions of shares a day.

I've suggested to the CME that they create a half-Emin (mini/mini?) to provide more flexibility for independent traders and smaller firms.

If you agree, then drop a line to the CME suggesting that they look into it.

2. Mercor

Mercor

Yea, If you're a girl.:D

3. I suggest you stay in the kiddie pool if you are not ready to swim in the deep end without your floaties on.

4. Stok

Stok

LOL!:p

5. sk8erboy

sk8erboy

Dude, if you can't afford to trade 1 ES contract, go with SPY/SSO, a lot of prop firms can allow you to trade them with nice intraday leverage. Or open an account with bucketshop where they offer 0.01 lots of ES etc

6. a hurly girlyman

ROFL :D

7. lindq

lindq

Precisely the kind of response I expected on this site.

One can trade an account well into six figures as I do, and still want more flexibility in position sizing with the advantages that a futures contract offers.

8. trendy

trendy

Flexibility? Can you imagine how volatile an Emini-mini contract would be?

9. Lucrum

Lucrum

After you ladies get through having your fun. You might want to keep in mind lindq is one of the few remaining real traders still posting in this shit hole.

As for the topic it's hard for me to imagine the CME being interested, at least anytime soon.

Given that they have to balance the needs and wants of both the institutions, which would generally want relatively larger contracts, vs the retail trader who could benefit from somewhat smaller sizes.

10. Just trade the SPY until you are comfortable with 1 ES or it trades down to 700 again and it will only be $35k per contract.

#10     Sep 12, 2009