How about a ECONOMICS forum?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by cartm, Aug 5, 2003.

1. I'll be interested in a forum about macro/micro characteristics of our economy. Especially the yield curve. There is a long "Bond Futures" thread in "Commodity Futures" forum that I think would fit better in a forum about economy than in Commodity forum.

#11     Aug 12, 2003
  2. So. Any response about this suggestion?

TM Trader

#12     Aug 16, 2003
  3. With the much of the northeast suffering a blackout in the past week, you'll probably see pro-regulation articles popping up left and right in the near future such as http://www.northjersey.com/page.php...5eTY0MTQ2NzAmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxNA== (if the article doesn't pop up, go to column on the left and click Opinion and The Record, then click Opinion Columns to get the archive, Click "Why did it happen? Think Enron" )

Opinion articles are soooo onesided so before anyone says, hey that makes sense just remember:

Deregulation of the airlines back during the Carter administration resulted in more competition, cheaper fares, more flights, etc...

Wasn't AT&T regulated before being broken up into the baby bells, resulting in cheaper rates, more choices, etc...

Advocates never tell you about, if I remember correctly, the Chicago theory of regulation, that regulation while intended to protect the consumer in fact ends up hurting the consumer. Since regulators meet with the regulated industry so often and the average joe has no idea he has a say or has little time to participate in such matters, the regulated industry presents evidence that can sway regulators to go along with what the industry wants.

Deregulation provides competition and competitive prices, services, etc... Its going to be interesting to see if the blackout is a topic next year's presidential campaigns, well maybe not the blackout but the topic of deregulation and funding for the utility companies.

Power pirates and Enronites are not the norm in the market place, they will get caught and rooted out. Have a little faith in capitalism.

#13     Aug 18, 2003
  4. cartm

cartm

I have not heard anything from Baron concerning this suggestion. Maybe he doesn't think it relevant to his site. Hopefully this is not the case as I would like to see it added to ET.

#14     Aug 18, 2003
  5. cartm

cartm

bump

#15     Sep 23, 2003
  6. maybe the best way to get an econ forum is to make this thread into an econ thread...

so how about that G7 meeting, eh??

#16     Sep 23, 2003
  7. Baron

Baron ET Founder

The economics forum is going to happen as soon as I get the following:

I need help finding current threads that should be moved into the newly created economics forum once it has been created. So if anybody could post links to current economic threads, that would speed the process up dramatically.

#17     Sep 23, 2003
  8. hey, thanks Baron!

is it better to post them here or PM you, or what?

thx again,
    -b

#18     Sep 23, 2003
  9. Baron

Baron ET Founder

post them here. That way, I won't get people sending the same ones over and over.

#19     Sep 23, 2003