How About a Depression that Lasts for 20 Years?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by observer67, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Look again. Your stock prices went up, but the dollars they are valued in went down even more, and you will pay 30 or 40% tax on that devaluation. How easily you have been fooled.

As for the depression, or long recession, my guess is it last till the baby boomers are mostly dead, which will be in another 30 years. It should be pretty obvious that the government will never be able to provide the benefits we paid in for from social security or medicare. They are both ponzi schemes that eventually will collapse from the weight of having to provide the actual benefits. Sure, maybe they might give them to us, but in dollars worth 1/2 or 1/3 what was expected. As with all ponzi schemes, only the administrators and the first to collect (who are now all dead), make out on the deal. The rest, and that's us, are left holding the bag.

#31     Dec 12, 2009
  2. One reasonable outcome.

Another is that the financial system collapses, bankrupting nearly everybody. The Boomers would then receive a small government stipend while being "encouraged" to die as soon as possible.

This way, the Gen X and Ys won't end up being saddled with the debts of prior generations. However, that also means that they will NEVER be allowed to achieve substantial success. America will be like a gigantic Cuba or Venezuela with the elite Progressives and Libtards calling the shots... in EVERY aspect of our lives, as best they possibly can.

#32     Dec 12, 2009
  3. Yes, that could be accomplished with a 90% devaluation, and at the same time make America cost competitive with everyone but China. Maybe that's why our government and Fed don't even flinch with a 30% devaluation already having been done. It would be a good way to do it while pretending not to collapse.

We could devalue till we were blue in the face, but there is no way we can ever compete with China. Just the employer portion of social security tax, not even including the medicare portion, let alone any pay at all, dwarfs the total pay and taxes a company has to pay for a Chinese worker.

#33     Dec 12, 2009
  4. Not many seem to grasp this "elephant in the room" concept.

Our standard of living will be forced to adjust downward to compensate for this fact.

#34     Dec 12, 2009
  5. hayman

hayman

Yeah, unfortunately, this is bound to happen. Of course, we also need to lay some major blame with Bush, who doubled the national debt, got us involved in 2 unwinnable wars, fed our jobs to cheap labor overseas, and just drove our economy into a major ditch. Obama isn't helping a bit, and I really think that he must have received some tutelage from G.W.

#35     Dec 12, 2009
  6. I agree with what you say here except for the 2 unwinnable wars... They are not suppose to be winnable... Unlimited profits for the Military-Industrial Complex of Companies with their perennial lobbyists and their congressional and senatorial bought and paid for contacts who they put a lot of money into their election campaigns...

The Wars for them have been very very successful... and will continue to always be so... :(

#36     Dec 12, 2009
  7. S2007S

S2007S

Is the worst over??

I guess its the jammed pack malls and 70% rally from the bottom in march thats giving you that oh so fresh feeling that everything is back to normal.....I forgot that people in our economy consume no matter what the economy is doing because all this world is taught to do is consume things you basically do not need.

Meanwhile we have bubble ben bernanke on the next bubble mission setting rates at 0% and printing worthless dollars to prop up everything to make it feel like everything is going in the right direction. Any future predicted growth is all an illusion, its all the worthless dollars they print to stimulate the economy and make it look like there is a turn around.....gdp would be -5-15% if they didnt prop it up like they have been.

#37     Dec 12, 2009
  8. S2007S

S2007S

agree, but do you really think they would have let that happen, I think what they are doing right now is a lot worse than doing what they should have done which was leaving everything alone.

#38     Dec 12, 2009
  9. Our markets are never going to recover, ever. Take a good hard look at this chart.

[​IMG]

Can anyone look at this chart and give me one good reason why I should put one dime into this market. This market looks like a perfect example of a high risk situation. Commodities are going higher. Real assets are going to trump paper for years to come.

#39     Dec 12, 2009
  10. S2007S

S2007S

#40     Dec 12, 2009