How a Bitcoin Evangelist Made Himself Vanish, in 15 (Not So Easy) Steps

Discussion in 'Crypto Assets' started by johnarb, Mar 12, 2019.

1. If you have any sort of opinion on anything, you can be sure someone will hate you and wish you death for it. Haven't you been on Twitter?

#11     Mar 13, 2019
    CSEtrader and murray t turtle like this.
  2. johnarb

johnarb

I'm sure he paid his fair share in taxes like all wealthy individuals out there - Warren Buffett, Jamie Dimon and their friends.

Giving away secrets? He's trying to share and help others, like you do with sharing us with your vast knowledge and research. Speaking of research, you're right about that, why is he the only one?, oh wait...

https://news.trijo.co/news/crypto-r...-front-of-his-four-year-old-daughter/?lang=en

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technol...change-chief-executive-kidnapped-leaves-work/

Why you wanna kick him out of the US? :) He sounds like a smart guy and an asset to our economy and he's sharing tips on how to minimize risks such as working and meeting remotely, you know, digital nomad lifestyle.

#12     Mar 13, 2019
    Sprout likes this.
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

I am sure too...

Anyway, your links brought up an interesting feature of cryptos: they are excellent tools for blackmailing. Also since the wallets are kept most likely somewhere home or on the person they are a rather easy target. (at least that is the assumption and no need to wait for the banks to open) And because some of these owners don't pay taxes, the robbers think they are stealing just from another robber.

Anyhow, if my well beloved crypto brings so much danger on me, I would switch to loving puppies, instead of going into 15 steps fake identity process.

Don't tell me there is a puppy snatching maffia out there!

P.S.: When you have a bitcoin exchange/office and has to go into your office every day it is hard to disappear. (like the guy in the link)

It is simply ridiculous to think that the solution is what was laid out in the OP.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    #13     Mar 13, 2019
  4. Sprout

Sprout

Thanks for sharing this post.

I’m interested in knowing more about number 14 - how to encrypt one’s data. Curious if any use iOS apps that would do this for general phone data (contacts, apps, call and text history, etc.) and also how a good memthod for managing passwords of all types - websites, financial institutions, crypto wallets and such. If anyone has any good recommends.

The part about having a PI investigate him was smart.

#14     Mar 13, 2019
  5. johnarb

johnarb

You know it's not just crypto enthusiasts that need to worry about being robbed/kidnapped, right?

https://thenextweb.com/hardfork/2019/01/09/norway-kidnappers-monero-ransom/

https://www.ccn.com/kidnapped-south-african-tycoon-released-for-50-bitcoins-ransom-report

PS: Pekelo, have you ever walked into a bitcoin exchange office before? You need to do more research, my friend. Everything is in the cloud nowadays... The guy in the link, can you tell me where his office is? lol, The article went over your head, me thinks...

#15     Mar 13, 2019
  6. johnarb

johnarb

No problem.

I don't have any IOS or Apple (or Windows that I actually use for my stuff) devices, so can't advice on those...

We don't have as much right as we have at the borders so you'll have to assume that you'll be asked to provide access to your electronic devices. You can google what happens to travelers (even if US Citizens) that are on the "US list" and they get their laptops, cell phones, tablets, confiscated at the airports.

I'm not on the list, but on our last trip overseas trip, I work on the assumption that I am.

When entering the airport on departure or arrival:

Traveled with 2 Android phones. The "airport" phone has a throwaway google account and the SIM is installed there. If they confiscate it at the airport, no worries, the main phone is in the luggage, but it's factory reset. I have TWRP backup of the full phone image which takes about 5-10 minutes to restore at the destination. Google custom recovery TWRP.

The laptop has the SSD running Windows from factory. If they confiscate it, it sucks, but no worries. The real SSD is in the checked luggage as well and it has Full-Disk Encryption dm-crypt, safe from evil-maid attack or even if it's found and confiscated. (I have full backups at different locations and have changed laptops so those backups are verified and tested).

I only use Linux OS.

#16     Mar 13, 2019
    Sprout and nooby_mcnoob like this.
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

1. So everybody with money should shit their paints and do a 15 steps secrecy process? Got it.

2. I can't, but the kidnappers apparently could. :)

Look, this is my last one because the original idea is just silly... Hire bodyguards instead of fake mail boxes if you are rich, like other rich people do.

#17     Mar 13, 2019
  8. johnarb

johnarb

1. No one is telling anyone what to do. It's one guy presenting his OpSec ideas. Take what you want out of it, or none of it.

2. You're being disingenuous here. You know full well that was before all this setup he made and to prevent such attacks in the future.

I'm sure the wife of one of the richest guys in Norway had bodyguards. Same as Kim Kardashian and Kanye West, but still they got robbed and kidnapped. Everyone has to be careful and there are ideas to not make yourself an easy target.

This is just a NY Times article on one guy's safety ideas which no one has to follow, and certainly not all of the steps. You don't like them, it's fine.

#18     Mar 13, 2019
  9. Seaweed

Seaweed

The critical thing here is famous people need to be kept in the spotlight in order to keep making money and staying relevant. Kim lasted for how long not posting on social media after her kidnapping???

A guy with bitcoin riches is much better off hiding in my opinion that hiring bodyguards.

#19     Mar 13, 2019
  10. CSEtrader

CSEtrader

“You have enemies? Why, it is the story of every man who has done a great deed or created a new idea. It is the cloud which thunders around everything that shines. Fame must have enemies, as light must have gnats. Do no bother yourself about it; disdain. Keep your mind serene as you keep your life clear.”
    ― Victor Hugo

#20     Mar 16, 2019
    DaveV and nooby_mcnoob like this.