Housing Soft Landing

Discussion in 'Economics' started by 2cents, Aug 31, 2006.

1. thats too many assumptions and potentially too much massaging... i prefer raw(er) data, from the last 20-30 years max... most of the stuff prior to this is 1) unreliable, 2) mostly irrelevant for the purpose of analysis... lifestyles have changed, so have demographics, migrations etc, in a pretty big way... time & space have contracted, access to information has accelerated in a pretty big way too... welcome to the 21st century ;-)

gotta run... off to koh samui till next weds ;-) good luck with your trading

#31     Sep 13, 2006
  2. you're not alone in that. memory is short and supercycles might as well exist only on the moon these days

thx and enjoy ur tan:)

#32     Sep 13, 2006
  3. No, the Fed can't force banks to lower it (that I know of). But the FED would lower rates as a RESPONSE to the nightmare scenario that I was responding to. If the prices of housing dropped 20 to 30%, people would "feel" poor and stop spending money. The Fed would short-term lower rates to stimulate the economy.

At that point, I think long-term lenders would see less risk in lowering long term rates, and would do so in the spirit of competition.

There is a loose correlation between long term and short term rates, but there definitely is a correlation over the long term.

SM

#33     Sep 13, 2006
  4. No. Fed cannot.

Correlation between short rate and 30-yr mortgage rate is close to zero. However, there are a lot of ARM mortgages whose rates are dependent on the short rates.

#34     Sep 13, 2006
  5. piezoe

piezoe

mortgage rates are correlated with the long bond rate.

#35     Sep 13, 2006