Houses cheaper than cars in depressed Detroit

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Dogfish, Mar 20, 2007.

1. jtnet

jtnet

I have a place on torch lake =)

#51     Mar 22, 2007
  2. I have been following this thread and here are some thoughts.

I have to think that some entrepreneur, like a Magic Johnson, or so could come in and make something out of this urban blight. I am serious, he did it in South Central lA, I believe, he built movie theaters, catered to the black crowd and did well. I realize LA has a much better economy that Detroit, but there are ways to improve, ppl. just need to get a creative.

If the local government is really corrupt, then that's going to be really tough. Look at New Orleans for a good example of cronism and dysfunctional government and it's effects.

On another note, the US needs to think about tax incentives for buying American, call it Protectionism, whatever you want, China and Japan do so why shouldn't we?

#52     Mar 22, 2007
  3. That is an amazing lake. I have been to inland lakes all over, fishing and boating, and Torch Lake is among the top 3 I've ever seen.

People from outside of Michigan would think they were on a Great Lake if they went out on that lake. I think it's close to 18 miles long.

*Edit - Damn, I'm good. 18 miles indeed.

Torch Lake, at 18 miles long , is Michigan's longest lake. Torch Lake also is Michigan's second largest lake covering over 29 square miles. Torch Lake, with an average depth of over 200 feet, is a fine habitat for trout. Downrigger fishing is the best way to go after the trout that stay in the cold depths most of the time.

AREA :18,770 acres
    LENGTH : 18 mi.
    WIDTH : max. 2.35 miles.
    DEPTH : max 315 ft. ave 111 ft.
    THERMOCLINE : starts at 25'
    BOTTOM :
    Shoal - sand, gravel, rubble,marl.
    Deep - clay, marl, pulpy peat

Latitude: N44° 58.57'
    Longitude: W85° 18.32'

Species: Lake trout, rock bass, yellow perch, small mouth bass, muskellunge, ciscoes, brown trout, rainbow trout, whitefish.

[​IMG]

#53     Mar 22, 2007
  4. jtnet

jtnet

Michigans largest inland lake by water volume im pretty sure.

3rd most beautiful lake in world according to national geographic.

michigans "little" secret

#54     Mar 23, 2007