House moves to extend unemployment benefits.....Wait a Second!!!!

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, Sep 21, 2009.

1. +10

#11     Sep 21, 2009
  2. WinSum

WinSum

Can't you fire yourself and collect unemployment if the unemployed have it so good.

#12     Sep 21, 2009
  3. the1

the1

I think you're missing his point, and it's a very valid point.

#13     Sep 21, 2009
  4. indexer

indexer

If you paid the self employment tax I think you can qualify for unemployment in many states.

Its tough being outside the system. That is one reason why I would like to see universal health care - health care separated from employment. The deck is stacked against those who do not work inside the traditional system.

#14     Sep 21, 2009
  5. lindq

lindq

I've fired myself countless times.

But I just keep giving myself another chance. I suppose I'm just too nice.

#15     Sep 21, 2009
  6. amtrak

amtrak

Yes, you can fire yourself if you're incorporated Sub 'S' style and you'd be able to collect unemployment --
    then the state would raise the unemployment tax rate for your company from almost nil to something ugly for a long time.

#16     Sep 21, 2009
  7. pspr

pspr

Exactly. And it isn't the government who is going to refund the state's unemployment insurance pools, it is small business on the hook once again for a government giveaway.

#17     Sep 21, 2009
  8. indexer

indexer

If you are at the point where you need to file for unemployment, future rate increases would be the least of your concerns.

#18     Sep 22, 2009
  9. Man being laid off doesn't sound so bad now!!

#19     Sep 22, 2009
  10. Nobody is predicting rising employment anytime soon, which is why they are extending benefits. Fed et al have continuously been stressing that unemployment will continue to rise and lag the recovery.

Some people think economic recovery means instantly that all measures should be improving. Some people have no clue.

#20     Sep 22, 2009