Hot Keys

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Eldredge, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Eldredge

Eldredge

IB has been my broker, but I want lower intraday margins on index futures. I have been leaning towards AMP.

Contrary to many, I really like the classic TWS. In particular, I like to have the instruments I am trading on one page/tab and have pre-sets for my usual trade size, order type, etc. Then I can use the keyboard only (no mouse) to move from one instrument to the other, enter a trade, modify the trade if needed, and finally execute the trade without using a mouse. Is that possible with any of AMP's platforms? The guy I was chatting with at AMP didn't think so, but he didn't sound too confident.

Thanks for any help.

tommcginnis and aldrums like this.
  2. aldrums

aldrums

Just gave you your first like, old timer!

tommcginnis and Eldredge like this.
  3. Eldredge

Eldredge

Thanks! Gave you one back.
    We didn't have those when I was a little more active here. A lot has changed...
    I see you're an old timer too.

tommcginnis and aldrums like this.
  4. aldrums

aldrums

That’s right. I joined ET two days before you...what a trip! I was active on Silicon Investor before that. We’re you over there? Your name is familiar.
    A lot has changed on ET, but a lot is still the same.
    I like the IB hot keys too, although I still think TWS is the weirdest software out there, and sometimes I wish they would blow the whole thing up and start over!
    IB margin is restrictive...it is really a pain trading in my IRA account.

Eldredge and tommcginnis like this.
  5. Eldredge

Eldredge

I had forgotten about Silicone Investor LOL. I think I had a handle over there, but wasn't really active.

TWS does kind of feel like DOS meets GUI, but I got used to it, and was really fast when I was actively trading years ago. Looking at getting active again, and don't really need the fancy stuff, just a good solid system that I can use. I tend to modify my orders right before I send them if I can benefit from a spike. I usually trade in pairs, so I am modifying two orders at once. Maybe I'll have to change my technique a bit.

aldrums and tommcginnis like this.
  6. mbondy

mbondy

AMP offers a LOT of platforms. I'm sure you'll have your pick, I can't imagine trading software that doesn't allow hotkeys. I don't know how you can stand tws, the first thing that I did with IB was pay for different front end software.

I'm using an antiquated direct access version of ninjatrader with AMP.. and even that allows hotkeys, but I don't think they offer it anymore to new subscribers.

Eldredge and aldrums like this.
  7. Eldredge

Eldredge

That's what I thought too, and you may be correct. However, I can't find a way to do this in Multi Charts which seems to be their preferred platform, and the person at AMP I chatted with couldn't find anything other than a hot key to make a new window.

I guess I will look at some of the other platforms. Or, maybe I will need to use Ninja Trader. Their Margins and commissions are a little higher than AMP's, but still low... I was hoping that someone else would like hot keys instead of mouse clicks and might be able to point me in the right direction.

8. mbondy

mbondy

Never used multicharts but from a brief internet search, seems like you should be able to program them pretty easily. They're called 'keyboard shortcuts'.

https://www.multicharts.com/trading-software/index.php/Keyboard_Shortcuts

If that doesn't work, then I don't know. I tried a demo of Scalptool with AMP, that was really good for my style of trading, but you have to pay for the software.

Eldredge likes this.
  9. Eldredge

Eldredge

Thanks mbondy! That looks like what I am looking for. I'll check it out.

10. Lee17

Lee17

Quite a task at your hand Eldredge. Do let us know if that link worked for you. And if you got any other option? BTW, has anyone prepared/ put out any table comparing commission and margins of some key brokers?

#10     Feb 27, 2018