Horse Slaughter

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maverick74, May 24, 2004.

1. Pabst

Pabst

Jeez, gedda room, will ya.

#21     May 24, 2004
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

Hey Pabst wasn't it you that was telling me about this great horse restaurant we needed to check out on the southside?

#22     May 24, 2004
  3. I gots something I'd like to share witcha -- kill yourself!

#23     May 24, 2004
  4. Pabst

Pabst

I said there were some Whores we had to check out on the South Side.

#24     May 24, 2004
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

Ohhhh, my bad. I thought you said horses. LOL. So that's why you kept asking me about cops. :D

#25     May 24, 2004
  6. Currently the BLM is paying over $35,000 per day in pasture rent for their unadoptable excess horses. This is being paid to private land owners to pasture unadoptable horses that had to be removed from Federal land because they were so badly overstocked. Can't get rid of them so they just keep building up.

I am sure any reasonable solution would be appreciated.

#26     May 24, 2004
  7. Wong Lee

Wong Lee

jesus sucks for creating a world with so much misery and death. i thought that guy is perfect or something :-/

#27     May 25, 2004
  8. TigerO

TigerO

The exact same goes for the murder of all and any animal just so humans can "enjoy" a meal, it's not just about horses, a pig is more intelligent than a house dog, btw.

[​IMG]

The good news is the trend to no longer eating brutally killed animals seems irreversible:

"Daily Mirror

TURNING VEGGIE COULD SAVE OUR BACON

May 20 2003

Trend will cut global warming and improve health

By Ros Wynne-Jones A Vegetarian For 20 Years

GOOD news for animals every where. Britain is going bananas for nut cutlets.

With 2,000 converts a week - a rate the Church of England can only dream of - the entire British population will be vegetarian by 2047, according to a new survey.

And after decades of "I can do you an omelette" it's good news for vegetarians too. In this brave new future we misunderstood veggies will no longer be forced to endure life as a culinary afterthought.

The Royle Family summed it up when Grandma Royle worried what Anthony's new vegetarian girlfriend would eat for her tea.

"Will she have wafer-thin ham, Barbara?" she asked, wrinkling up her nose.

This year is the 20th anniversary of my own conversion to vegetarianism and I remember that my own gran was devastated when she heard the news I had become an 11-year-old vegetarian.

I can trace it to my grandad's job at Dewhurst the butchers in Llandudno Junction.

Visiting him there, I once used the toilet at the back, pushing my way through the hanging plastic curtain that hid the back-room butchery. Inside was a man in a blood-stained overall, hacking the haunches from a strung-up cow. Until that moment I had never put "roast beef" and "cow" together.

Sunday lunch suddenly lost its allure.

My dad made me a wooden farm when I was little that was much better than any dolls' house. On my farm, the chickens played with the sheep and the cows lived in the farmhouse. (George Orwell, eat your heart out!)

Now, I had to countenance the idea that the animals weren't there just to play but to grow fat for the slaughter. The lovely pigs were just walking bacon rashers and the chickens were actually "Chicken", the thing that came in a basket.

I PROUDLY announced my decision over the dinner table one Sunday in 1983 to my bemused parents.

They told me to pick the meat out of my dinner and eat the rest. I hadn't thought this far into my personal culinary revolution. 'The rest' included a giant handful of evil brussels sprouts. Would I starve?

And God, it was hard.

Never to eat another bacon sandwich. No more shepherd's pie or Welsh lamb chops! In my anguish, I almost herded the cows out of my toy farmhouse and sent them packing to Dewhursts. But I held firm.

These were the days Before Linda, when it was impossible to find murder-free Linda McCartney pies.

Back then, you were lucky to get a plate of nut cutlets - foul-looking nuts and grains that sat in your stomach like rocks. What were food manufacturers thinking? I'd become a vegetarian, not had my tastebuds surgically removed.

Today, we even have our own Delia vegetarian cookbook, a kind of passport into polite society.

There are hundreds of great reasons to become a vegetarian. For one, swallowed meat lies around rotting in your gut for months afterwards.

Vegetarians visit hospital on average 22 per cent less often than a meat eater, saving the NHS £220 per year each.

For another, the way we treat animals in this country is an outrage that future generations will condemn as barbaric.

Any idea how chickens actually die? Imagine being herded onto a conveyor belt with a metal blade buzzing at neck height waiting for you at the other end. Oh, and you're not James Bond, so there are no implausible means of escape.

To anyone who says: "Hitler was a vegetarian", well, yes he was. He also had a moustache, and was a Nazi. Which of these factors do you think actually contributed to the Holocaust? Meanwhile, livestock farming is an extremely inefficient use of the world's resources compared to crops.

Add this to the fact that "methane-emitting livestock" (cow farts) contribute massively to the Greenhouse Effect and global warming. And millions of hectares of rainforest are destroyed each year to create grazing pasture.

In the UK alone, 800 million animals are slaughtered every year for the dinner table. In a lifetime, the average meat-eater will consume the equivalent of 760 chickens, five cows, 20 pigs, 29 sheep and half a ton of fish. That's an entire farm each!

OK so, tofu, Quorn and soya in their raw states don't exactly look delicious. But let's think about the lunch you're eating in its raw form. Was it a lovely lamb, gambolling in the fields? Well, now it's dead, cruel murderer!

AT least Britain is ahead of most other countries. In America vegetarianism is such a dirty word you're better off being a smoker.

France, of course, is a veggie disaster. Anywhere Spanish-speaking is pretty much a no-no.

Throughout the Kosovo crisis, the only vegetarian thing on any menu anywhere in the region was Skopska salad.

It was a very nice salad but, after six weeks of eating it for breakfast, lunch and dinner, I'd had enough.

To help, my translator kindly gave me a piece of paper with the Albanian for "I do not eat meat" written on it, but every day I had to give it back to him to add something new.

By the end of our stay it read: "I do not eat meat. Or chicken. Or cows. Or ham. Or fish. Or prawns. Or bacon." Finally, he added: "Or birds."

So, you may have the upper-hand now, flesh-eaters, but wait till 2047! Then you'll be the ones shunned at the dinner table ("Oh, I can't have Tom for dinner, I've no idea what to cook for carnivores!") and palmed off with a token dish at restaurants.

Meat will cost a fortune, with a Third-World and environment tax that will help repay the damage you are causing with every meal.

And as factory farming dies, we'll make you slaughter your own meat - humanely, with electrodes attached between your brain and the animal's so you feel its pain.

Even better, you'll be the ones having to explain yourselves for your weird eating habits. And Grandma Royle will be there, screwing up her face, asking: "Will she have a wafer-thin piece of tofu, Barbara?"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnew...&headline=TURNING VEGGIE COULD SAVE OUR BACON

In the same vein about the US:

Going vegetarian is increasingly cool with teens

#28     May 25, 2004
  9. I can't believe that PETA equates Jews killed in the Holocaust to Pigs slaughtered for human consumption (most of which are born and raised to be hogs for no other reason). What next? Are they going to equating African slaves with Dogs and Cats. Get a fuckin clue man.

PETA can lick my nuts. Meat and Seafood for all.

#29     May 25, 2004
  10. Yeah!!! I'm gonna eat a horse sandwich today just for them.

#30     May 25, 2004