Horrific Lessons in value investing- DFC files for bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Trading' started by HedgefundTrader2, Dec 8, 2007.

1. It's obvious you are not trading a real money account so how could you have ever lost any real money?

#21     Dec 11, 2007

2. You donot know what I do and what I don't do, so shut your mouth and get going stupid fool.

#22     Dec 11, 2007
  3. Lampert has made ~800% in SHLD without factoring in buybacks. That, incidentally, represents a higher return than you would have achieved if you had bought GOOG, a classic growth stock, at its all-time low and held it till today.

You may never have lost any money but you also don't run a $600m (Pabrai, incidentally, holds about 10% of that) hedge fund with one of the best 7 year track records in the industry. This is his professionally audited track record we're talking about by the way.

#23     Jan 5, 2008
  4. ==============
    day7792;
    Some Re related is still knocking on heavens door;
    as mentioned earlier,HOV, CFC, if you like downtrends.

And BZH if you like downtrends ;
    but IMB is slowly uptrending off its 1998 crash lows.:cool:Not a stock tip or prediction, simply probibilities.

#24     Jan 5, 2008
  5. All of this is totally inexplicable to me. Did not John Templeton say 'buy when blood is running in the streets'? Hasn't everyone made a bad trade? No one here knows where he got out of his position. He obviously looked at th company and felt that there was a chance that it could recover.

If he's running a huge fund, you would think that he has factored in the possibility that the stock could go to zero before he can get his shares off.

Hasn't this guy had stellar audited returns? Do any of you who are bashing him have audited returns? Does anyone have his audited returns for the year this happened and for the subsequent two years to see how he recovered?

The answers to those would be yes, no and no.

Does anyone have the proportion of his total accounts that $26MM represents? Is he actually running $600MM, is that what I read here?

These guys are the best in the world at what they do. And the guys on here bashing them are lonely internet trolls. EOS.

#25     Jan 5, 2008
  6. Yes, it sets you apart all right. It separates you from those who trade.

Strange that you would admit this in public.

#26     Jan 5, 2008
  7. asap

asap

day -> stop harassing other posters.

actually makloda posted very important and interesting info about this case. you should do the same or at least learn from those that know much more than you do and are willing to share it with others for no reason other than altruism. and bare in mind that arrogance and ignorance go in hand in hand, before hitting reply to this thread.

#27     Jan 5, 2008
  8. All investing, even for 3 minutes is a risk. The longer you are in and the larger the position, the higher the "event" risk.

I consider myself a value investor/position trader, mostly. I guess the main thing if you're going to bottom fish is to make sure the company is going to survive without going into bankruptcy. Otherwise, its a lot better to buy the shares AFTER the bankruptcy filing if you think they will have value post filing.

#28     Jan 5, 2008