Horrible recession: Why are steel stocks breaking out?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by makloda, Apr 4, 2008.

1. "Soros: It's like the Great Depression"
    http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23515757-643,00.html

"Are we facing another Great Depression?"
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/s...440411&in_page_id=108&position=moretopstories

"One-in-four chance of global recession out of US crisis, says IMF"
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/3/story.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10503438

#41     Apr 16, 2008
  2. You're an idiot. Where do I spread doom and gloom? I pointed out that a sector is showing bullish price action in the light of what the media portrays as an impending recession of "epic proportions".

#42     Apr 16, 2008
  3. dman666

dman666

This is a trading forum and in your original post you talk about "global economic implosion" and "worst recession since 1933". Then you show charts of companies in the steel industry and ask whether the markets have it wrong. Then you talk about why this doesn't fit in with your perception of what cyclical stocks should do.

Is this not saying that the bond market is pricing in 1.6% annualized growth so cyclical stocks should not be hitting new highs? I guess I just can't comprehend what your saying if that's not what it says.

#43     Apr 16, 2008
  4. China and India are buying our steel.

#44     Apr 16, 2008
  5. dman666

dman666

So how did the "market" get it wrong in this massive risk crisis that got us to the point we are at today? How did the "market" over leverage based on flawed risk formulas? How did the "market" even come up with a risk formula. I thought the market was just an exchange to buy and sell.

On your DCR and UCR trades, I just looked them up and see they are some sort of Oil ETF's. I notice it say's that they will keep trading until the liquidation date. It sounds like your are trying to say there is some type of arbitrage trade you can do.

First off, if they are trading far from their NAV, that means somebody is trading them, right? If someone is trading them and moving the price, how is the price (market) wrong? If I'm missing something with this, please explain.

#45     Apr 16, 2008
  6. Not at all! I am just pointing out that investors in these two markets seem (!) to use very different underlying economic scenarios.

#46     Apr 16, 2008

7. Keep beating those warning drums of doom and gloom/ There ain't no recession or nothing. Slowdown in economic conditions during winter months and massive action by The Feds and Treasury and Congress ( with whom you always fight instead of being a good Citizen and a proud Patriot.).

Before you tag those links- show me a single quarter of negative economic growth in the US since 2002 ? How about it? Come on now and prove that we are in a recession not because how you feel so terrible, but because we have a contracting GDP/

#47     Apr 16, 2008

8. Instead of focusing on price action and charts and volume, you are focused on the negative aspects of bull markets where untold millions are being made hand over fist. These steel stocks are made of steel, they do not bend or rust, demand of steel is insatiable.

#48     Apr 16, 2008
  9. Makloda,

Read the 7th paragragh in the Soros article (only 1 sentence). There lies your answer. Period.

#49     Apr 16, 2008

10. People comparing this minor hiccup in economy with Great Depression! Give me a break! Loaded with IPODS, Flat screen TVS, wearing Nike's and slurping Lattes at Starbucks these morons know nothing about hardship their elders had to go through!

#50     Apr 16, 2008