Horrible experience:IB cost me $50,000 this morning

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by zhexin2, Mar 20, 2008.

1. DerekD

DerekD

That makes zero sense. ZERO. Love to see you block trade with Scottrade.

You might want to look into prime brokerage or retail outfits that offer quasi-prime brokerage services.

Wait a minute. You're only kidding around.

My bad. I tell ya, sarcasm is harder to spot on the internet.

#31     Mar 20, 2008
  2. I think he was serious...

#32     Mar 20, 2008
  3. I think Derek hit the nail on the head.... there's a limit of 50 messages per second.

http://individuals.interactivebrokers.com/en/p.php?f=programInterface&ib_entity=llc

But what gets me is what did you do for the next hour while you waited?

My suggestion: READ all the documentation thoroughly. Then read it again. It sounds like what cost you $50K was your own lack of effort in learning the nuances of this software.

OldTrader

#33     Mar 20, 2008
  4. Mercor

Mercor

Yea, In the past big smart traders would use safe companies like Refco or Bear Stearns

#34     Mar 21, 2008
  5. zhexin2

zhexin2

what does it mean "50 messages limit per second" in IB API document? does it include IB feedback about order status, such as order filled or cancelled? or the messages due to the call of reqAccountUpdates()?

#35     Mar 21, 2008
  6. Paliz

Paliz

Half of the people on this site are IB staff, and it's run by IB. So do you think that you will get some where by complaining here?

#36     Mar 21, 2008
  7. If this problem was caused by the 50 order per second limit. Then IBs software should either queue the orders for a few seconds or simply reject them if they exceed this limit.
    Not lock them up for an hour in a pending status. That would be really crap.

There must be another reason why this happened.

#37     Mar 21, 2008
  8. GTS

GTS

If this problem has happened in the past (which it must have according to the part I highlighted in bold) then you are responsible for not dealing with it previously.

It seems you just ignored it when it happened in the past and this is the first time that you really got burnt by it (when the market moved against you).

Why don't you talk to IB about what is causing it instead of posting here? I would think if you are a big trader they would work with you to up your limits.

#38     Mar 21, 2008
  9. zdreg

zdreg

"Why don't you talk to IB about what is causing it instead of posting here? I would think if you are a big trader they would work with you to up your limits."

one should encourage people to post. we can all learn from someone else's experience.
    in general IB treats everybody equally they skip the headache of dealing with the prima dona traders of prop shops.

#39     Mar 21, 2008
  10. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

The service that they offer to professionals is excellent.

#40     Mar 21, 2008