Horrible experience:IB cost me $50,000 this morning

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by zhexin2, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Yeah, for all those trashing IB, please recommend other alternatives for automated program trading with low costs. I'm seriously all ears...

#11     Mar 20, 2008
  2. DerekD

DerekD

Were any of those stocks affected by new margin rules for individual stocks that went into effect on Monday?

#12     Mar 20, 2008
  3. i dont do program trading, but what about ninja trader as the platform, then you can pick the broker, or strategyrunner.

#13     Mar 20, 2008
  4. Assent.

#14     Mar 20, 2008
  5. mss

mss

I am guessing the problem was not the number of symbols or the size of your position. Could it be that your program may have submitted a bunch of erroneous orders that were rejected for some reason or that the program made a large number of modifications or resubmissions of existing orders? I think there is some API limit on the number of messages that can be transmitted during a given interval.

#15     Mar 20, 2008
  6. tango29

tango29

If you are trading that kind of size I thought IB had a professional side for you to use? You have to contact them, but I thought they had a side that works with groups doing that kind of size. Maybe it wouldn't have mattered, but possibly something to look into.

#16     Mar 20, 2008
  7. Thanks. I will look at them. I need a broker who supports OpenQuant. My choices it seems right now are Open E Cry, MB Trading or Genesis as an alternative to IB. If anyone has any experience/recommendation with any of these in regard to automated program trading let me know. I have looked the most into OEC but their recent technical issues have given me pause. Thanks.

#17     Mar 20, 2008
  8. DerekD

DerekD

#18     Mar 20, 2008
  9. BSAM

BSAM

'Cause most of these types had rather bitch about IB than find themselves a way to make some money. It's much easier to complain. Much easier.

#19     Mar 20, 2008
  10. call Don Bright, and tell him we sent ya!

seriously!

and do it NOW!

#20     Mar 20, 2008