Hong Kong Dollar About To Pop ?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Stockolio, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Not sure what is unclear here, every western country would declare such person unwelcome, too:

"The visa decision came shortly after Mr Mallet hosted a talk at Hong Kong’s Foreign Correspondents’ Club, where he was acting president, by the founder of a now-banned political party that advocated Hong Kong’s independence from China."

#41     Aug 15, 2019
  2. luisHK

luisHK

Duh...freedom of the press is a concept which has been lost on you, besides, even excluding journalists who are supposed to give voice to several sides of specific issues, remind me how the politicians in Brussels mingling and giving refuge to Catalan independentists wanted by Spanish police who went way beyond what HK independentists parties did are barred to visit Spain?
    Besides pro independance parties are nothing new, the fact they were banned in HK was another poor sign of democracy s health, basically every party unfriendly to Beijing is now unwelcome in HK politics
    Besides Philippines officials barred in HK were for reasons unrelated to HK, but u conveniently omitted that

#42     Aug 15, 2019
  3. Well, maybe all that escapes me. I am a critical person but I don't go around on the street and scream for independence, nor do I host such people. I have never run into issues with the law or into any immigration issues or the like. And I am pretty critical towards China at times. I guess timing is important, where words are spoken and in front of which audience, and obviously how well know the person is. I guess in the end of the day, people who host such speakers or use words of independence themselves are playing with fire, like a guy wanting to check how things play out when telling "bomb" at the airport.

HK is assimilated into China for years now and someone who has missed this development should probably rightly get the wakeup call.

#43     Aug 15, 2019
  4. There are a lot of instances. Company employees participating in protests can be barred from entering the mainland. Imagine a London bank FX trader joining a protest, then China bars him from entering and all chinese banks (ICBC, etc) start boycotting him. How is it not a bully in today's world. Shutting people up inside china is one thing, shutting them up elsewhere is another. Anyways, let's not talk about this as it is useless and none of us will change our view.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    #44     Aug 15, 2019
  5. Hmm, must have been quite the jerk and got rightly barred. Listen, I am not a fan of hearsay and the "one case establishes the norm rule". All my friends in Hong Kong work at various companies, I reckon around half of them strongly support the protests, then again half of those do so strongly and openly voice their displeasure with China. Not once has anyone ever run into issues with traveling to China and many of my friends must travel for work to China on a frequent basis. Does that deny the possibility of that one case you mentioned? By no means, but please don't sell the 1-case story as a norm or what happens to a majority, it does not.

If you participate in violent protests and are filmed and ai face detects you and you are put into a banned database then you rightly deserve so. But people are not banned from entering or conducting business on the mainland because they oppose the political structure in China. And if someone is as dumb as wanting to test how far Chinese authorities go then they can do that at their own risk. You also would not host the Dalai Lama, if you wanted to enter China, would you?

See, the problem I see is that we don't respect sovereign rights of nations anymore. We want to impose on everyone how we believe a democratic regime has to look like and behave. If China wants to ban anyone who opposes their government in public and voices disrespect then China has the sovereign right to do so. They of course must take into calculation that other countries might reciprocate.

#45     Aug 15, 2019
  6. there is no right or not in things like these, it all depends on what kind of a world do you prefer to see. and for mainland china, it is just not my cup of tea. Again, i do not know what tight interest rates are you referring to in IB, how are they tight post-markup/down?

#46     Aug 15, 2019
  7. Yes there is right and wrong. There is what is called the Rule of Law. Certain actions such as peaceful approved protests are legal. Unapproved and violent protests and clashes are illegal. There is a right and a wrong based on law. There are very few exceptions (that would get us very deep, philosophically) but they certainly don't apply here.

And that China is not your cup of tea is your prerogative. Neither is it mine else I would live in China. I don't and never will because I disagree with the regime. But I don't go on the street and throw stones and attack innocent travelers and physically prevent them from departing at the airport.

Re IB perhaps you show me what rates you are seeing so we both know we are talking about one and the same thing.

#47     Aug 16, 2019
  8. Synthetic long 0005.hk and short hsbc.us (its adr = 5 HK shares) to lock in the implied usdhkd. If usdhkd were to rise, the adr price would drop. Synthetic so subject to the implied interest rates, not IB marked-up/down floating rates. But lack of liquidity for the ADR options a few months out making it unrealistic. I think i am the only options trader out of kamakura

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    #48     Aug 16, 2019
  9. You still have not shared what rate spread you are seeing for a long usd.hkd position. Hard to claim its too much if you don't even know what it is.

#49     Aug 16, 2019
  10. around 2.5% p.a., which is unacceptable for a pegged pair. IB marks up HKD debit by 2% and USD credit down by 0.5% right? Not sure what rates you are subject to, but my overall account is about US$1mn and subject to rates listed https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=1595

#50     Aug 19, 2019