Homicide???....I think not

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ElCubano, Dec 3, 2003.

1. You came in here and immediately showed a strong bias against authority with your "pigs" comment. There are good cops and there are bad cops -- just like every other occupation in the world. Why? Because cops are people and not programmed droids. So I just wanted to call you on the bias right there.

Secondly, your comment about being under arrest when a cop approaches is wrong. Police have the right to investigate specific circumstances that may warrant further investigation. A law enforcement officer may temporarily stop a person in a public place for the purpose of

(1) requiring that the stopped person justify his/her presence and activity in the location and

(2) identify him or herself.

This is called a DETENTION and is not an ARREST. There is a difference. An arrest starts when a person believes that he or she is not allowed to leave due to actions of the police.

Watch the tape. The 350 pound guy that was high on stimulants was swinging in fists of rage while calling the police "white boys" or "whitie" and trying to injure the police officers.

Every situation is a unique one. There are both good and bad cops. However, this case seems pretty cut and dry to me. It was a tragic example of what happens when an obese, stimulant filled person goes crazy on the police and ends up dead. It happens every day -- but this one somehow made it to television for the public to scrutinize.

Everyone wants to be protected, walk the streets safely and feel secure. However, show the mass public what has to happen in order to enjoy this freedom and suddenly many people start jumping up and down screaming police brutality.

It reminds me somewhat of the movie, "A Few Good Men." We live in a world where right and wrong aren't always as clear as their definitions in a dictionary.

#31     Dec 4, 2003
  2. ktm

ktm

Good post aphex.

Sulong has it out for the police for reasons that have not been determined yet. I suspect he has had frequent interaction with them in order to form these opinions.

Based on his posting, I suspect his attitude, lack of fact gathering before spewing off here and general ignorance and disrespect for law enforcement might contribute to him being on the wrong end of a PR-24.

#32     Dec 4, 2003
  3. ElCubano

ElCubano

:D :D :D :D

#33     Dec 4, 2003
  4. ElCubano

ElCubano

Exactly.....I wonder, had it been the other way around or had it been 5 black cops beating fat boy to death, would it get this much attention??

#34     Dec 4, 2003
  5. There are two opposing factors in most of these cases. Factor one is nothing tragic would happen if people would just comply with the cops. It may be unfair, they may be assholes, you may have had a bad day, whatever. The time and place to resolve it is not on the street facing an angry cop. All these mistaken shootings have a similar fact pattern. Young black guy (or woman in the Chicago case) runs from police, then does something stupid when caught. Turns out he didn't have a gun. How the hell are the cops supposed to know that? Are they required to play russian roulette with some street punk? Then of course a jury of compassionate idiots awards 80 zillion dollars against the city. Let the taxpayers cover it.

Factor number two is a lot of cops are just looking for an excuse to pop someone. Maybe it's dealing with assholes all day or maybe they should never have been allowed to wear a badge. One failure to "comply" and they're off. A lot of "standard procedure" is clearly overkill. Do they really need to throw someone on the ground and wrench their arms behind their back, yelling at them the whole time, when there clearly is no threat? I don't think they should have to risk injury every time they arrest someone, but they do seem to need better equipment and training whne it comes to subduing aggressive but unarmed suspects, like the dead guy.

The bottom line is teach your kids to go along with whatever the cops say. Hands in the open, no sudden moves, no smart mouthing, no running. Yes sir, no sir. Let daddy's lawyer sort it out rather than the ER doc's or the coroner.

#35     Dec 4, 2003
  6. I agree with you about good cops and bad cops ( PIGS ).
    I find it offensive that society in general holds the job of cop in such low regard. I believe that being a cop should be a respectable profession.
    unfortunately most applicants are not respectable to begin with.
    A cop ought to be able to deal with situations better, more level headed, and unemotional than your average joe.
    If a majority of cops can not do a job any better than the ave. joe, what good are they?
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "Secondly, your comment about being under arrest when a cop approaches is wrong. Police have the right to investigate specific circumstances that may warrant further investigation. A law enforcement officer may temporarily stop a person in a public place for the purpose of"

---------------------------------------------------
    Sorry but I'm correct.
    When you are in the presence of an recognized officer of the law,
    You are at that moment under restraint. Under restraint and under arrest are viewed as the same thing, with the same possible consequences, in the eyes of the law.

AAA made a very good post, I would be very happy to throw my support to factor #1 if only we could reduce or eliminate factor #2.
    until then pigs will out number "good cops"

#36     Dec 4, 2003