Homepage redesign

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by DT-waw, Oct 4, 2001.

1. Good job Baron. I like the way you grouped the various subjects on the home page. It makes it easier to find what I'm looking for.

It also makes it more obvious under which subject area folks should begin a new thread.

#11     Nov 2, 2001
  2. mjt

mjt

I like the new design. With the previous home page, I always went to the different forums to find out which threads had unread posts anyway, (which I think is the most efficient method of catching up) so I think the redesigned homepage is a more efficient way of getting around.

What happened to the reviews sections, and the workstation guide?

#12     Nov 2, 2001
  3. sallyboy

sallyboy Guest

I like the new homepage design as it seems easier to catch up on all of the new posts in a particular forum whereas with the old single column design it seemed easier to miss some without going through each forum thoroughly.

One thing I do find missing from the new design is the quick links to the home page & discussion page at the bottom of the screen. If it's at the bottom and the top as you had it before, it's easier to jump around without having to scroll back to the top to go "Home". I know you had recently added it to the old design so I'm not sure if it was deleted deliberately or just overlooked.

While we all critique the site changes it can be said that it's a great site and your hard work is appreciated, although it's never going to be possible to please over 8,000 members!

#13     Nov 2, 2001
  4. vinigar

vinigar

I like the new design Baron...should help in keeping things in major catagories instead of all over the place:)

#14     Nov 2, 2001
  5. DT-waw

DT-waw

I have several suggestions:

1. The thread title font should be smaller - 10 pt verdana, why it is so big? And I think it's easier to read thread title in one row, not in two rowes... The thread title can be followed by a dot or a number, for a clearer view.

2. The list of latest post should be organized in two columns, not in one. home page will be shorter, not so much mouse work to scroll down the page.

3. I've liked links to "home page", "discussion", "hardware"... on the top of the page on the green background.

4. The list of the most active members can be placed somewhere else, not on the home page. maybe it will be good to create another section "ET's community" or something like that, where this list and other related stuff can be stored.

DT-waw

#15     Nov 2, 2001
  6. Rigel

Rigel

The new page looks really good but I liked the old one better. It was more straightforeward. Maybe the format of the old page could be used in the new page (on the right) and still keep the new border (on the left).

#16     Nov 2, 2001
  7. coops

coops

Baron, really appreciate this site, so thanks first.

I also prefer the old home page style, but I think this may largely be due to the new layout - in particular the column width you've set for the message thread title. It's so narrow, any reasonably descriptive title ends up spread over 3 or more lines - looks extremely ugly (I suspect I'd be perfectly happy with the new design if this was sorted).

Main 'problem' is how to get to reviews or anywhere else! After reading previous here, went to a thread and found the Forum Jump selector. Strangely I never used this before as i just clicked on the shortcut at page header, mainly from the old home page. Anyway, I guess we need the Forum Jump thingy (I like it, now i've seen it!) on the new Home Page (near the top and prominent!)

thanks again :p

#17     Nov 2, 2001
  8. I miss the other home page. I really like being able to see all the latest posts at a glance.:(

#18     Nov 2, 2001
  9. Ditto

This is now a pita task.

#19     Nov 2, 2001
  10. ddefina

ddefina

I like the new format, but then I like to see everything at once too. If you had two layouts, one of the old page with combined threads and then the new page that would be great. :)

#20     Nov 2, 2001