Homepage redesign

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by DT-waw, Oct 4, 2001.

1. DT-waw

DT-waw

I think that the Home Page of Elite Trader should be redesign. First of all, link to "Workstation Guide" should go to "Hardware" section. Terranova-MB banner should be smaller.

And then, I think it would be nice to have a list of latest active threads sorted under 6 ET's sections: Main, Brokerage Firms, Tools of the Trade, Current Events, Derivatives and Elite Trader. Let's say 5 or 6 latest threads from each section. Why? - Some sections are more interesting then the others. Each one of us has different interests, someone looks for a good broker, someone wants to know more about derivatives.

And you can save some space in "Most active members" table.

DT-waw

2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

For the last several days I've been working on a new version of the homepage. The page will be more explanatory for new visitors but yet give experienced members one-click access to the latest threads and posts in the forums they are interested in. Also, private message status will be on the home page as well. I'll post a beta version to see what everbody thinks in the next few days.

3. fast

fast

Great new home page! Thanks for the hard work, Baron!

4. aura0663

aura0663

Baron-Congradulations on new homepage format. I've always believed that this is one of the best trading sites available-where professionals like Don B, Gene W, R Tharp, etc can interact with the less experienced--and it just keeps getting better!! One suggestion that I would like to offer-although I am not a believer in censorship and realize that there are some substantial egos involved- it may be beneficial to monitor some of the petty name calling and bickering (it does seem somewhat improved in the last year),
    as I don't believe that the majority of us come to this site for that type of behavior. Keep up the hard work, you deserve a raise.

5. Nice home page redesign.

It'd be great if we can minimize some of the categories and maximize others.

I'd like to be able to see more recent trading threads, and perhaps zero threads for other categories, such as under professional firms.

If we can expand or collapes the threads under each heading that would be great.

Still, a very nice improvement overall.

6. Magna

Magna Administrator

Baron,

Nice job. I like the PM info very clearly displayed on the home page in the upper left. I agree with Punter that it would be nice to see more recent Trading threads on the homepage. And the only disturbing thing I've run across is that when I'm in any forum I can't quickly go to the master index of all forums in one click (as we used to be able to do) by clicking Home in the upper left. Now it takes me to the new "Home" page, then I have to scroll down to the forum, click more...

7. tymjr

tymjr

FWIW, I much prefer the old setup of a single column of the most recent posts without regard to category. I just find this new home page a bit too busy. Maybe we could have the option to default to a page of threads organized by the most recent post date and time.

Regardless of my preferences, I'd like to add my thanks, as well, to Baron for all the hard work.

8. js1257

js1257

I second what tymjr says about posting the most recent posts. I know you put a lot of work into the new design but I prefer the old page.

9. i agree with the two posts above.. the old design of one list of threads was much better.. i like the other improvements though..

-qwik

10. The new design is pretty good but I prefer the old design.

With the old design I could easily see the most recent posts in all categories. Now I have only the most recent 5 from each category.

What is wrong with the new design is that it takes too much time and effort to go through each category. Why don't you just keep the old design with the most recent posts on the main page and instead of having the useless most post numbers by members on the left side just put the category list there. It's the best of both worlds. Not only do we have quick access to the most recent posts on the right side we can also quickly go to the category we like most on the left.

-Grey

#10     Nov 2, 2001