Homeless finds US bonds in trash

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Pekelo, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Pekelo

Pekelo

Funny thing you mention reading ability, because the article clearly indicated that the bonds were worth 21K!!!!! Now it might not be the homeless, but it had monetary value for someone.

Otherwise why would they give him $100 if it was worthless??? Thanks for returning our trash??? :)

#21     Jul 27, 2006
  2. DTK

DTK

3. bsmeter

bsmeter

Like someone else astutely observed. YOU'RE OBVIOUSLY A F***'N PIKER. Learn to read before opening your ignorant mouth. I feel sorry for whoever you're working for.

Homeless hero gets Scrooged

BY DEREK ROSE
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

A Michigan lawyer who gave just $100 to a homeless man who returned $21,000 in lost bonds says he's been inundated with angry calls and e-mails calling him a skinflint.

Neil Lehto stirred outrage last week after giving the paltry payout to Charles Moore, a homeless man who discovered the savings bonds in a bag of clothes at a Detroit shelter.

"It was too low, but that's what my mother offered," said Lehto, 55. "I knew it would probably create a reaction."

And it did. Lehto has been deluged with outraged responses, while others have pledged Moore a total of $4,000 in donations and a shopping spree at a men's clothing store. One man even sent him eight trash bags full of returnable bottles and a box of coins.

"I was thankful for it," said Moore, 59, who became homeless after he lost his roofing job in Ohio and moved back to Michigan but couldn't find work.

Lehto says not to blame him for the cheap reward - it was set by his 82-year-old mother, who grew up in the Great Depression.

"She came from a generation where $100 is a lot of money," he said. "She came from a generation where honesty is required."

Marian Lehto of Rochester Hills, Mich., was also angry that her late husband, Ernest, had apparently stashed the bonds in a jacket, her son said.

"The idea that he would hide these savings bonds somewhere where they would get discarded when he died - I don't want to say she blew her stack, but she was not happy about that," Neil Lehto said.

Reached by telephone, Marian Lehto declined to comment.

Neil Lehto, who's been divorced twice and has four daughters, said he just didn't have the money to bolster the reward. "I'm a lawyer, yes. A big lawyer? No."

The savings bonds were in Ernest Lehto's name, so even if Moore had wanted to keep them, he couldn't have gotten the money, which will go to Ernest Lehto's estate.

"I know you can't cash them," Moore told The Detroit News last week. "They're no good to nobody but the person [named]. They belong to him. I did the right thing."

#23     Jul 27, 2006
  4. lxor

lxor

For a $100, I would have rather wiped my ass with them. :p

#24     Jul 27, 2006
  5. Hey BSMETER thanks for posting the story, let's see the bonds went to probate and were worthless to the person who found them. Isn't that exactually what I said ? As I also stated it was a nice gesture on the part of the finder, but why is it worth anything more than the $100.

It is also interesting the homeless gentleman knew the savings bonds could not be cashed, it appears he knows more about the securities business than half of the posters on this thread.

Talk about a pack of pretenders......

BSMETRER you should change your name to BSSPREADER.....

#25     Jul 28, 2006
  6. Jew you very much?

#26     Jul 28, 2006