Homeland Security Turns Spy Satellites On Citizens - Wash Post / WSJ.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by achilles28, Dec 21, 2007.

1. achilles28

achilles28

Disturbing revelations surfaced over the Summer that President Bush authorized our nations foreign spy satellites turned inward, for use against US citizens.

The domestic surveillance program will be administered by the NAO under Homeland Security.

State and Local Law Enforcement will have access --- providing Troopers and Police real time tracking data, infrared and building-penetrated video imaging on US persons.

Essentially, military satellites designed to spy on our Nations enemies will now be redeployed for use against US citizens on US soil.

Is this what America is about?

Is this what "Freedom' is?

Domestic Use of Spy Satellites To Widen: Law Enforcement Getting New Access To Secret Imagery

By Joby Warrick
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, August 16, 2007; A01
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/15/AR2007081502430_pf.html

The Bush administration has approved a plan to expand domestic access to some of the most powerful tools of 21st-century spycraft, giving law enforcement officials and others the ability to view data obtained from satellite and aircraft sensors that can see through cloud cover and even penetrate buildings and underground bunkers.

A program approved by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence and the Department of Homeland Security will allow broader domestic use of secret overhead imagery beginning as early as this fall, with the expectation that state and local law enforcement officials will eventually be able to tap into technology once largely restricted to foreign surveillance.

Satellite-Surveillance Plan
    Aims to Mollify Critics
    By SIOBHAN GORMAN
    December 20, 2007; Page A4
    http://online.wsj.com/public/articl...n_wqU0nQ0EtWYTnYIM_20081219.html?mod=rss_free

WASHINGTON -- After delaying a domestic satellite-surveillance program for more than two months, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff expects to finalize a new charter for it this week, a move that attempts to quell civil-liberties concerns and get the program back on track....

Congress lashed out at the department when The Wall Street Journal reported plans for the program in August. Mr. Chertoff suspended the program until legislators received more information. The satellite-spy technology was originally developed to monitor activities and people outside the U.S.

House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Bennie G. Thompson of Mississippi said his committee received its last update on the spy-satellite program three months ago. "We still haven't seen the legal framework we requested or the standard operation procedures on how the NAO will actually be run," he said. In a spending bill Congress passed yesterday, lawmakers prohibited the department from spending money on the program until Mr. Chertoff certifies the program is legal and the Government Accountability Office reviews the certification.

2. achilles28

achilles28

More good news on the way...

FBI aims for world's largest biometrics database
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071222/tc_nm/fbi_biometrics_dc
    Sat Dec 22, 1:30 AM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The FBI is embarking on a $1 billion project to build the world's largest computer database of biometrics to give the U.S. government more ways to identify people at home and abroad, the Washington Post reported on Friday.

The FBI has already started compiling digital images of faces, fingerprints and palm patterns in its systems, the paper said.

In January, the agency -- which focuses on violations of federal law, espionage by foreigners and terrorist activities -- expects to award a 10-year contract to expand the amount and kinds of biometric information it receives, it said.

At an employer's request, the FBI will also retain the fingerprints of employees who have undergone criminal background checks, the paper said.

If successful, the system, called Next Generation Identification, will collect the biometric information in one place for identification and forensic purposes, the Post said.

3. That slow and silent march to the end of the US as we know it.

Just more fuel to the fire.

4. This would be the same Department of Homeland Security that can't manage to build a fence on the Mexican border in our lifetime or do anything to stop illegal immigration?

5. seems like a bit of an odd contradiction doesn't it

we'll watch you in your home with military grade technology, but we'll leave the border as porous as we can possibly get away with

6. American Union... here we come!!!!!!

7. ah you think they really care about illegal immigrants, wasn't that just a silly topic to keep the news business running and people thinking about serious :)D) stuff

8. why does this stuff come to you people as a shock, I mean isn't that what governments are for, to fuck with your lives, with all honesty this shit doesn't bother me, I have accepted that humans are amazingly stupid, they give authority and power to other humans and then they ask why they have used that power against them, this is the ultimate level of stupidity, even animals are not so fucking naive, I have accepted that it is natural for those with power to abuse those without, that is how nature works, it is even in fucking God's nature to abuse those who are weaker than him, why should I blame those who are higher than me for the shit they practice upon me and my life, if any of you had the same level of power, you would have done the same or even worse, it is not them who is responsible, it is no one, this is life, get over it, or gain power.

[​IMG]

9. "Paranoia will destroy ya" - the Kinks

#10     Dec 31, 2007