homegrown trading software

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by dchang0, Jul 5, 2004.

1. sprstpd

sprstpd

I thought Townsend Analytics (i.e., RealTick) offered something like this called Tuber. It might be discontinued but I still see it as one of the API options they have listed on their API website. You might give them a call and inquire about it.

#31     Sep 22, 2004
  2. nitro

nitro

Tuber is very expensive.

nitro

#32     Sep 22, 2004
  3. sprstpd

sprstpd

How expensive?

#33     Sep 22, 2004
  4. TGregg

TGregg

0) Customized to me (it does some things automagically that are not found in other systems). Also, I am free to infringe on the copyrights of all the best UIs.

1) Uses IB's TWS API

2) Written in VB .Net

3) Written for XP. No need for Multi-thread, Multi-proc

4) No server farms or anything. It's more interface than autotrader, although there are a few decisions it makes by itself.

5) Indie free, does not use indicators of any sort. Just T&S.

6) Greased Lightning.

7) A long #@^%@ time. So many cases to code for, sheesh. I'll bet it took me 100 hours to write it, and another 100 to debug it.

8) Just my time. @ $50/hour, 10k.

9) Sorta. I liked the ladder style of trading UIs, and I implemented that. There's a few other things I took as well.

10) Not as is. Some things might be copywritten, and some of the features would be difficult to explain.

#34     Sep 22, 2004
  5. nitro

nitro

At least $1K/M plus dedicated box plus I believe (PTP ?)T1.

nitro

#35     Sep 23, 2004
  6. The scanner I use just released some visual basic add on to their API.

http://www.trade-ideas.com/ForDevelopers/

I am no programming master but...I am thinking of making a black box using their system and doing it in VB.....any thoughts or suggestion would be great.

Also I am thinking of trying to make a proprietary back tester to see how different set ups act over time etc as part of black box.

#36     Sep 23, 2004
  7. linuxtrader

linuxtrader Guest

(0) Custom Rules and Decision Making algorithms,
    (1) Scratch using various open source tools/API's
    (2) C, C++, PHP, Python, Mathematica/Matlab (for 1 subsystem which is being replaced by open-source solution)
    (3) Linux but architected to be portable to other platforms with a minimum of work should the need arise: Multi-threaded and Multi-Processor aware.
    (4) Grid Computing i.e. A distrbuted, cooperative system.
    (5) Completely extensibile and mutable since it provides for rule and decision system hooks.
    (6) Since it scales it is fast enough for our present and future needs - as far as we can reasonably estimate.
    (7)The coding of the front end and rules and processing interfaces took about a year initially for 3 engineers.
    (8) Cheap given the alternatives for systems with similar functionality.
    (9) No
    (10) Yes but we wont do that and have no interest in doing so ....

#37     Sep 23, 2004
  8. allonred

allonred

I just talked to Townsend. They said they are not taking new clients on the Tuber product. They said it is $1000 a month for Tuber, 500 a month for the TBI toolkit, you need to get data from another provider and the point to point t1. I am rapidly loosing hope for developing on the unix platform. Most companies don't support it or have discontinued support for it. I just talked to a sales guy that asked me if windows was different from unix and then he asked if citrix was a different os than windows. What is the datafeed of choice for developing on vb.NET?

Thanks,
    red

#38     Sep 23, 2004
  9. nitro

nitro

Probably the normal RealTick offering. If you are developing for less than 40 symbols, IBs feed is fine.

I have not tried eSignal in a long time, but I suspect that would be ok too for low number of symbols.

nitro

#39     Sep 23, 2004
  10. linuxtrader,

Are you trading shares or futures and who are you using for data?

Runningbear

#40     Dec 12, 2004