Home Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CPTrader, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Thanks NihabaAshi and all who contributed. Much appreciated!

#11     Jul 7, 2005
  2. If you have a friend that knows a bit about networking, get them to help you set it up and encrypt everything then test it.

It shouldn't take them more than an hour. And it's a lot easier that doing it yourself. And make sure your order a pizza and beer.

Runningbear

#12     Jul 8, 2005
  3. 5150

I've used netgear wireless router with integrated firewall (i also use a software firewall) for a while with no problems. As far as security, what I've done is, 1 disable SSID broadcast. All that does is stop your wireless router from broadcasting it's id. Will stop the average idiot from even seeing your wireless network. 2 Enable MAC filter. Set up an approved MAC address list, (make sure yours is on there :) ) Those first 2 measures will keep people from using your internet. However to portect the data that is passing between wireless device and router you have to enable WEP, or WPA-PSK. That is an encryption key that encrypts the data that is sent wirelessly. I haven't had any reliability issues with my netgear, but havent used linksys or other brands.

#13     Jul 8, 2005
  4. Hi All,

Who has experience with extending a wireless network with a repeater? I now run a Dlink DI-624 and would like to add a DWL 2100AP operated in repeater mode.
    Would WPA still work as it should?

Thx.

#14     Jul 10, 2005
  5. mimo work great as far as range. it travels 2 to 3 times as far as anything else. but i've had problems with the connection going down 3 times a day. i thought it was dsl problem but it wasn't i have to call linkys

#15     Jul 10, 2005
  6. This is a nice project ..... and I did not realize I could boost the output .....

#16     Jul 10, 2005