Home sleep aid/remedy

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mxjones, Jan 3, 2007.

1. DWV

DWV

The only thing that worked for me was to implement a strict schedule - in bed by 11pm, up and in the shower by 7:30am. Do something like this everyday, 7 days per week and in less than a month you will be sleeping well.

Most important is avoid sleeping aids (pills) and NEVER take a nap during the day.

#21     Jan 4, 2007
  2. skepticaltrader

skepticaltrader Guest

Who's got time to sleep when the markets trade 24 hours a day.

I only sleep on the weekends and not very much at that.

Keeping the room as dark as possible and sleeping in a quality mattress is about the most important ingredients for a good night's sleep.

Excedrin PM also works real good.

#22     Jan 4, 2007
  3. To just say NEVER napping is a blanket statement. The real concern with naps is how long you take the nap for. Here's one article I found from google - http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/496640.html

#23     Jan 4, 2007
  4. JA_LDP

JA_LDP

Start running everyday. With exercise, every aspect of your life seems to fall into place. For real.

#24     Jan 5, 2007
  5. ElCubano

ElCubano

until you get shin splints....:p

#25     Jan 5, 2007
  6. DWV

DWV

Be careful of even "natural" sleep aids. I have taken most of them - including melatonin, valerian, etc. Everyone reacts differently to them. I was usually groggy a few hours after I woke up.
    If your brain is in overdrive when you go to bed you will not fall asleep so try and calm it with something boring - like counting backwards and force yourself to eliminate the thoughts in your head...including why you took that last trade :)

#26     Jan 5, 2007
  7. Exactly. I learned this tip from The TAD Principle, and it really does work. Try it:

"This is almost always a direct result of an overactive mind.

Your mind is focused so intently on one or many subjects – be it the day’s events, problems you are trying to solve, anticipation of something in the future, or worries that we all have about life. You find yourself going over different scenarios, or your mind is bouncing around from subject to subject, thought to thought at a rapid pace.

You need to "settle" your mind to fall asleep...

Close your eyes, and imagine yourself at a blackboard. Picture yourself writing numbers, starting with 100 and going backwards. You see yourself writing 100, 99, 98, 97, 96…actually picture your hand writing the numbers...95, 94, 93, 92, 91...

If you find that your thoughts drift to something else, simply start over at 100. This may happen several times. But if you are persistent, you should eventually be able to focus on yourself at the blackboard, writing the numbers.

Based on our research, most people find themselves drifting off by the time they get to the 70’s. If you drift off and quickly awaken, simply start over..."

#27     Jan 5, 2007
  8. nkhoi

nkhoi

counting backward sound simple but it is not so easy , your mind wander and miss count all the time, by the time you stay focus enough to count properly, you brain got tired out, it just shut down and goes to sleep.

#28     Jan 5, 2007
  9. I agree. That is the concept of what I posted above. It has added difficulty because you imagine yourself writing the numbers. Once you get focused your mind blocks out the other traffic, and then slows down altogether. Then you can sleep.

#29     Jan 5, 2007
  10. I found the same with those herbal sleep aids. That's why I take them a couple of hours before going to bed. I also use 5-HTP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-HTP

Has anyone here tried the Tempur-Pedic bed?

#30     Jan 5, 2007