Home Office Deduction

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by trader345, Oct 17, 2011.

1. uptickk

uptickk

Sorry, to clarify I meant what if your LLC or Corp paid for housing costs for its employees (you being the only one)? Essentially the LLC or Corp would be on the lease agreement / mortgage depending on if the entity rented the place or owned it (think executives that get apartments paid for by their companies). In this instance there wouldn’t be any rental income as it was be an expense to the entity. If the entity owned it, yes the entity would depreciate it and end up paying taxes on the gains once sold but time value money right (maybe this is better for renters since you would not be selling it at the end of the lease)? I would imagine having your personal address being the same as your business address would raise red flags but is it illegal if the understanding is that the entity provides housing for all employees?

I don’t trade in an entity so I am only somewhat familiar with the IRS rules.

#21     Oct 18, 2011

2. Perhaps you should realize that not all traders started out as such and that some were professionals in the field you think you know so much about. I took the SEE many years ago while in college and have a JD and an LL.M in taxation from NYU.

Also, I know where you are coming from as I worked two tax seasons and taught the Basic course for H&R Block, the cheapest company I have ever worked for in my life. Back then we prepared the returns using a pencil. Before the season we were given a blue plastic coffee mug with the H&R Block logo and a plastic bag containing a mechanical pencil, click eraser, and a staple remover. At the end of the season, they wanted the staple removers back. I recall the EZ return was $20 for federal and $15 for CA and I was paid $4.10 an hour. (I believe the state minimum wage at that time was $3.55.)

Also back then, the IRS still administered the SEE instead of subcontracting it out. If I remember correctly, the SEE was offered only four times a year. I took it over two days at a small convention center and the atmosphere wasn't that much different from the real estate license exam I took around that time.

The SEE is nothing special. To prepare, I took the Block course for it because it was free and just read the publications and circular 230 that came in the SEE package from the IRS. Compared to the New York State Bar Exam, it was like a quiz.

Let's just say I know a little about the field of tax.

#22     Oct 18, 2011

3. Then you as an employee would have to pay income tax on the housing the entity provided to you. Still taxed twice.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but an LLC or a corporation with all of one employee paying for that one employee's living accommodations would raise a flag.

No it's not illegal. I think the fact that you would have to pay tax on the "income", the housing that is provided to you by the entity shoots down your idea, but I follow you. The notion of an entity such as you describe absorbing all or most of the tax liability of your profit was popular back in the eighties, but has been rectified by the IRS since.

#23     Oct 18, 2011
  4. Like I said originally, compared to all the experts around here, what the fuck do I know. After all, the tax laws are the same now as they were then. :D

#24     Oct 18, 2011
  5. uptickk

uptickk

Having to pay income tax on the housing the entity provided you would definitely defeat the purpose of having the entity pay for it in the first place. Thanks for the constructive dialogue.

#25     Oct 18, 2011
  6. No prob. I'm not here to argue, just to help out with what little I know. If someone else wants to do it another way then by all means have at it.

#26     Oct 18, 2011
  7. You know how to fill out forms. That's about it.

There's a world out there in tax about which you have no idea. Stick to the Package X where you can't harm anybody.

I did get a chuckle out of the "representing the respondent in court" part. How did you get membership to the bar?

#27     Oct 18, 2011
  8. My God! How do you fit your head through the doorway? As your name implies you have nothing to add but hubris.

#28     Oct 18, 2011
  9. the1

the1

And even if you do get audited and assuming you prevail, it's highly unlikely you'll get audited on the same issue again unless your deductions increase by a significant amount. The deduction is well worth looking into as long as you have your ducks lined up.

#29     Oct 18, 2011
  10. To borrow the words of a famous giant: Tell me how my ass tastes. :D

Seriously, I just busted your balls a bit because of the way you came out with the "enrolled agent from H&R Block" routine. You and I both know the EA designation means shit.

Are you guys still sticking it to the poor with the "Rapid Refund" loan-sharking program or has that been outlawed yet?

#30     Oct 18, 2011