Home Heating

Discussion in 'Politics' started by dividend, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Could it be more economical to heat the home with hot water pipes snaking through under the floor board and/or within the walls? <in conjunction with a central heating system... kind of like a hybrid car that runs on batteries/petrol> Modern houses just hold the stored hot water in a container in the basement or garage, which seems inefficient to me. Of course, in the summer a valve could be turned to disable the flow. Or better yet maybe cold water could be routed through.

(In apartments it would be even better, since the ceiling of the downstairs neighbor would be heated while the floor of the upstairs would simultaneously be heated as well... same thing with the walls)

2. Banjo

Banjo

These systems have been common for a couple decades now. The latest iterations are plastic flex tubing run under wood or concrete floors from a manifold with valves to every area/room so that area can be shut off. They are in floors only as heat rises and doesn't efficiently generate out from a wall. Insulation in attic floors/ ceiling joist is important. Google it, any plumbing supply in the north east will have it. They are many times used in very cold areas in garages to keep the auto engine oil viscosity at a level where the car can start,lol. You have to figure out the cost advantage for your particular situation.

edit: Since above would be hard to install, destruction and then construction, I would look into perimiter hot water heat, no destruction mode for instillation. Same concept but water tube just runs around baseboards with small radiators generating heat. If the area has a lot of sunshine even tho outside temp may be low the sun can heat roof panels for water. Some of these systems have almost zero heating cost in the right geo area to operate after initial installation and are quite simple. Anybody reasonably capable can do it. In right conditions the savings of a couple winters pays for it. The elec cost for a small pump while circulating the hot water is all that's necc. When no sun it reverts back to water heater. Worth looking into.

3. I've got a in-floor radiant heating system for a 5000sqft house in Tahoe. The propane bill is $1000-1500 per month. It's warm....but it's terribly inefficient.

This summer I'm re-placing the whole thing with a passive ground-source heating/cooling system. This will provide a year-round 70 degree indoor environment. It’ll heat pool and the spa too....all passively done from ground temps.

The cost to replace is about 50K....should pay for itself in 4.5-5years.

No way I’d touch an in-floor system again.

4. Banjo

Banjo

Dr, that sounds great, any info/links on those systems you can provide?

5. electric heat pumps are the best way to heat and cool. i have 4000sq ft house in south dakota where it gets cold in the winter. i average $50
    per month to heat and cool.

6. i looked at ground source heat pumps when i built my house. i went with a cheaper top of the line airsource(1/2 the cost) and am very happy with it.
    while a groundsource will save energy over an air source i do not think they will save money. the cost of installation and maintenance is so high that it will not save money over an air source for many years if ever.

7. That's interesting...I'll have to research the air source system.

Thanks

8. volente_00

volente_00

what do you keep your heat on 40 degrees ??????

#10     Feb 19, 2006