Home Depot laying off 1000 people!!!!

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Unfortunately, there's a lot of gov't jobs that you can't cut. For example, I'm a federal correctional officer in a prison at the moment. You really can't lay me off, b/c you'd be endangering the safety of the other officers by not having enough supporting staff to supervise. Many other federal LEO's are teh same way.

#21     Jan 27, 2010
  2. Then what are you waiting for? Start running in circles, waving and screaming.

#22     Jan 27, 2010
  3. I have a lot of respect for what you do. I did social work with juvenile offenders.

That said the Prison and your position could be contracted off to a private firm, like Texas did, and pay less. I am not advocating that but if the government can sell roads to raise revenue they can other things as well.

#23     Jan 27, 2010
  4. pitz

pitz

Homo Depot should go bankrupt. They're a business that is completely not necessary.

#24     Jan 27, 2010
  5. Privatising prisons only leads to higher incarceration rates which is probably why the US today has a higher incarceration rate than the rest of the world combined!

#25     Jan 27, 2010
  6. MattF

MattF

Depends on the security level...you'd be surprised in some cases.

#26     Jan 27, 2010
  7. pitz

pitz

But the government could examine why there are prisoners locked up for relatively minor offenses (ie: narcotics, etc.), and downsize the prison system that way.

Make no mistake about it, no federal job is totally safe and immune to downsizing.

#27     Jan 27, 2010
  8. BSAM

BSAM

Some of you don't seem to understand. Prisons is one of the biggest industries in America. Think about it. Tied in with construction, food service, medical community, the "criminal justice system" (what a joke); there are megabucks involved.

#28     Jan 27, 2010
  9. fh2000

fh2000

California governor just proposed outsource prison to Mexico. What else can we outsource?

#29     Jan 27, 2010
  10. Ahnold S. just proposed sending a lot of Calif prisoners to Mexico to save money. So correctional officers can and will be cut in the future.

#30     Jan 28, 2010