Home Depot laying off 1000 people!!!!

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, Jan 26, 2010.

1. All of the Home Depots in my area (phila. burbs) are hiring.

#11     Jan 26, 2010
  2. S2007S

S2007S

Yea the one near me does the same exact thing, 4 self check outs, 2 for cash, 2 for credit. 1 or 2 cashiers during the day I think.

I would get used to it, the supermarkets near me have been adding in self check out lines. I think in the next 10 years there will be no such thing as cashiers, it will all be self checkout.

#12     Jan 26, 2010
  3. Well since they just sold me TWO leaky reverse-osmosis under sink drinking water kits. Maybe they should lay off more than 1000 people.

#13     Jan 26, 2010
  4. BSAM

BSAM

Great! Give me a self-checkout any day. Good luck finding a Lowe's employee. They're as scarce as an HD employee.

#14     Jan 26, 2010
  5. x2

and prices are always higher than the competitors. What a joke!

#15     Jan 27, 2010
  6. Actually those self-checkout lines don't have a lot of future. Pretty soon, the item will be scanned automatically as you add it to your cart. By the time your done filling your cart, your bill will have been calculated and paid (by a cc on file), and you can just waltz out of the store.

#16     Jan 27, 2010
  7. sumfuka

sumfuka

Problem with Lowe's & HD is that the tools they carry sucks, and their inventory are expensive and over rated. Of course they are going to lose customers and employees in the longer term.

#17     Jan 27, 2010
  8. Jobs were lost earlier in big chunks from companies who were the most vulnerable. Now we're still losing jobs, albeit at a slower pace, from companies "less vulnerable".

The fact that the job loss rate is slowing down shouldn't be taken with much optimism. Getting people back to work in a well-paying job is going to be a HUGE problem.... seems everybody is just waiting with anticipation for the "job flood" to return... AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN... unless they're talking about parasitic government jobs or the US adopts stringent protectionist policies... and we can't do that while begging China to keep funding our bloated debt...

#18     Jan 27, 2010
  9. Mercor

Mercor

Goverment is going find itself having to reduce its employment rolls to save money.
    Yet , Obama just spent a 700 billion stimulus to save mostly goverment jobs.

#19     Jan 27, 2010
  10. S2007S

S2007S

Exactly. people are going to have to wait years and years before any "job flood" returns to the economy. I actually think it will take at least a decade or more. They can create all the stimulus they want, its not going to create the amount of jobs the economy needs at the moment. Just to absorb the new labor force over 150,000 jobs need to be created on a monthly basis. Another thing you have to take notice is that you cannot force job growth on a slowing economy, it does not work that way, spending hundreds of billions of dollars to create jobs is certainly not the answer to the economic problems the economy has taken on. Many think spending our way out of the recession is the best answer, job growth has to come naturally. Out of the nearly the 8 million jobs lost since the start of the recession, probably a good 1/3 to a 1/2 will never come back.

#20     Jan 27, 2010