Home Defense Shotgun

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by marketsurfer, Jun 25, 2013.

1. achilles28

achilles28

My dad tells me any gun fired in a house (handgun/rifle/shotgun) will blow out eardrums?

#11     Jun 27, 2013
  2. Pekelo

Pekelo

3. You may very well damage your hearing but it's better than being dead.

#13     Jun 27, 2013
  4. achilles28

achilles28

Very true

#14     Jun 27, 2013
  5. Lucrum

Lucrum

I haven't tried it, but I can certainly see where some hearing damage is possible.

#15     Jun 27, 2013
  6. Thanks everyone--- seriously considering the mossberg 500 12g 18 inch pistol grip.

It's cheap and will do the job. I'm not a collector, so I don't need anything fancy. Thanks again for the suggestions.

#16     Jun 27, 2013
  7. Just my opinion, but I'd steer clear of pistol grips and other "tacticool" features. I use a stock 12 ga Mossberg 500 with an 18.5 barrel for HD. Well I haven't "used" it yet, but it's what's available. Also, the ammo I've stocked is #00 buck in 2-3/4" shell. They fire 9 large lead pellets with reduced recoil for easier follow-up shots. You don't need max power loads at close range. You'll most likely engage your adversary at distances of less than 20 feet indoors.

Learn to shoot with a stock weapon first, then try new gadgets to see if they make the weapon easier to use. Be careful to not base purchasing decisions on what you see in YouTube videos; these mall ninjas are mostly idiots with lots of money and very little real firearms experience. They're like little boys wanting the coolest looking guns.

A HD weapon should not be used to scare an intruder or impress him; your sole purpose in having such a weapon is to take the intruder's life. It's very serious business.

#17     Jun 28, 2013
  8. Unless you're house is being broken in by Navy Seals, I would think the racking would scare off novices and professionals alike.

#18     Jul 1, 2013
  9. jem

jem

i thought the mossberg 500 combo with 2 barrel lengths - one being for home defenses... was a pretty good idea.

I saw one little 300.00 dollars last week at Big 5 sporting goods.

#19     Jul 1, 2013
  10. A bit off topic...

For home defense, I've considered the option of .45 cal carbine vs shotgun and lean towards the carbine, though something of an "apples & fruit salad" comparo...

1. More rounds at the ready
    2. Smaller, easier to maneuver..
    3. Less recoil... shouldn't intimidate the wife
    4. Likely won't leave the home shooter deaf
    5. More effective range... something like 100-125 yards. Shotgun would be good at 20 feet, but maybe not at 50 yards.

When the breakdown comes, you might want to engage aggressors out in the yard besides when they break the door down.

#20     Jul 1, 2013