Home Defense Shotgun

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by marketsurfer, Jun 25, 2013.

1. I have not been an active gun user for over 20 years-- however, I have extensive past experience skeet shooting, pistol target shooting, and both bow and gun hunting for small and big game---- Despite my old experience I am out of the loop of gun culture-- with this said, What would you reccomend for a home defense shotgun? thanks! surf

2. Lucrum

Lucrum

Pretty much the same as what was available 20 years ago.

3. Remington, Mossberg, Benelli, FN, Stoeger and others all make tactical shotguns. Like lucrum said, they haven't changed much except for the furniture and accessories.

Major choice will be between a pump gun and auto. Or you could get a double. Stoeger makes a neat stage coach gun. 12 gauge is standard although 20 is not out of the question, particularly if women or kids might have to use it. Ammo manufacturers now offer various self defense loads although I suppose 00 buckshot is still the most popular.

4. wartrace

wartrace

Inexpeensive but reliable would be the Mossberg 500 pump. I have a "500 cruiser" model (pistol grip) that I keep in a credenza by my desk loaded and ready to go. I think you can pick one up for under 300 bucks.

Expensive- Benelli. I have a Benelli M3 combo pump/semi-auto with an extended magazine that I bought for around 900 dollars.

If I were expecting trouble the Benelli would be out of the gunsafe as a back up to my primary defensive weapon the M1a.

5. Magna

Magna Administrator

All major mfgs (ie, Remington, Mossberg, Benelli, etc.) make excellent weapons. Pumps have the advantage of the "racking" sound that scares off novices but not professionals. They are also simpler mechanically and cost less than semis. Semi-autos have the advantage of less recoil and easier operation, especially for someone very nervous in a life-or-death situation. Both methods are effective with proper training. As to "best" gauge AAA mentioned earlier:

Nothing wrong with 20 ga, as one of the shotgun experts of the world (Massad Ayoob) says you get about 75% of the power with 50% of the recoil compared to 12 ga so you get back on target much quicker. And each round of 20 ga buck gives the equivalent impact of two .44 Magnums, nothing to sneeze at. Best to stay away from old single or double-barrel shotguns as they add considerable reloading time with no real benefit other than cheaper price. And at close quarter self-defense distances, when the adrenaline is pumping, it's easy to miss. People think with shotguns you just point them in the general direction and the spread takes care of everything. Not true at close quarters as the few pellets of buck barely spread at all. So having a magazine that holds 5-8 rounds is essential for a good self-defense gun. Finally, keep the barrel length to 18-20" as any longer is tough to quickly maneuver around corners in a home situation.

6. for sale:Belgium made Browning Twenty Weight Double Automatic 12 gauge bought new by me in 1963.

7. I have a Browning Silver Hunter 12gauge in the safe and a Remington 870 Express 20 gauge sitting next to my desk right off the den. My wife knows how to use it as well and it stays loaded and ready to roll. It wouldn't do any good if we were in bed and someone was already in the house though, but having one in the bedroom isn't an option with a toddler in the house!

8. Rem 870
    It's going to work every time, safe gun, very fair price, readily available.

9. How easy is it to handle that pistol grip mossberg? I always wondered how the recoil felt with just a pistol grip. I've seen videos of guys shooting them, and it didn't look too bad. It offsets one of the biggest downsides of a shotgun for close quarters, its length.

10. nursebee

nursebee

Taurus Judge with some kind of speed loader, first make it .410 shells then the bullets.

#10     Jun 27, 2013