Home alone vs office

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by illiquid, May 15, 2002.

1. IMO, if your relatively new to intraday then trading from an office for at least two weeks would be well worth it. Early in my start I had the order system go down with me holding a short position. It saved me to find out what to do from the officer manager.

I would guess it would take 4-6 weeks to start picking up on strategies. However, a lot depends on the office. Some offices will provide a wealth of knowledge, others not so much. Either way, the two weeks of hand-holding may well be worth it.

If you've been trading for awhile and want to learn more by being in an office it's absolutely (repeat, absolutely) critical you pick the right environment. You might want to visit one or two for a day or so.

Search the posts here on Elite. You'll soon pick out the folks representing the different firms. Talk to them.

#51     May 17, 2002
  2. Rigel

Rigel

Hooray for our friends the Brits for going into harms way in Afghanistan. They are a brave nation.

#52     May 17, 2002
  3. Yannis

Yannis

Well, no argument here, but how come they are afraid to speak and drive the right way?:)

#53     May 17, 2002
  4. Cash has pointed out a lot, and we are pretty happy with the figures for our new "Bright at Home" (expanded remote) this year.

The ideal situation, IMO, is to trade in an office when close enoujgh, and have the option of trading at home (or "on the road"). The numbers are a bit better (still) for new people in an office (and this changes from office to office, depending on the local manager a bit).

With Cash's strong computer skills and his full time support, I think the expansion will continue, # of traders remote wise.....

Bottom line...trader profits.....and with continuing education, we feel pretty confident that keep that going.

Don

#54     May 17, 2002
  5. Kosiosko

Kosiosko

Thanks for the inputs! I now need to talk with and visit some of the different prop offices.

#55     May 17, 2002

6. This is actually the best thing to do. Find out about all the offices in your area and visit them all. Talk with the managers and even more importantly talk with the traders. You will know if there is a good match.

Robert Tharp

This thread is getting heavily off topic but the 2nd topic is a great discussion

I started a thread here about where traders live
    for some who want to get together to discuss ideas and such

Please post them all here
    http://elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=5681

on where you live

#56     May 17, 2002