Holy Grail Trading Software

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by BullFighter, Apr 13, 2002.

1. jaypaul

jaypaul

Matlab is not good at data management. You just call external C routines or DLLs for that. Matlab is not suited for processing data in real time. You use it to backtest a solid trading system offline, then convert the core Matlab functions to C and compile that into your real-time app.

The issue to me is not data management niceties or real-time code. It's designing a profitable trading system that also meets certain statistical requirements in it's trading behavior (liquidity, drawdown risk, per-equity screening/diversification and stability of these factors over time). This is an enormous challenge. Matlab provides the most important element of all, mathematical dexterity, where I can write high-level clear concise code which is easier to debug.

Be realistic.

I wrote one interface to NYSE TAQ data, and another interface to TAL data. Together they took about 20 hours of programming and have served me for several months with perhaps about 3 hours of maintenance in that time. The TAQ interface uses no 3rd party code. It interfaces to the TAQ files directly. The TAL interface also archives T&S data, merging it into the TAQ database since TAL only keeps data for 7 days. Everything is C code which runs on the command line, producing a data file that Matlab can read. All of this could be further automated in a variety of ways.

Sure, you can call this hacked. But it was quick to develop, easy to use and reliable. The only third party tools are TAL's DLLs and Matlab itself.

Jay

#21     Apr 14, 2002
  2. nitro

nitro

Huh? My post was in response to the poster that said that in the C/C++ code, there were a lot of memory management bugs and that the memory management was inneficient ?

nitro:confused:

#22     Apr 14, 2002
  3. :) just kidding nitro. :) my point was: it's easy to find fault in others if you don't read/listen carefully.

i was talking about data types AND memory management. the guy in questions uses apparently nice, intuitive C++ classes to store financial data, but it wastes RAM like crazy. for some trivial tasks, 1GB memory is too little for that application...
    the solution: redesign everything again, rewrite everything again, since the source of all the problems reside in some base classes, and the rest of the system inherits heavily from these classes. no way of bypassing the inheritance issue because a good design would require completely different behavior from the base classes.

#23     Apr 14, 2002
  4. nitro

nitro

In that case, he does not understand C++ very well. In either case, I doubt that he would need much redesign, as it sounds like aggregation instead of Inheritance would solve the bloat problem. This is a lot of typing, but it would be almost mindless.

nitro

#24     Apr 14, 2002
  5. jaypaul

jaypaul

That's a great income! At that rate, I can catch Bill Gates within my lifetime.

What constitutes a "small" research project? I do 3-year 5000 stock analysis on an ordinary PC with 768 MB ram. I work with 5000*5000 element matrices and other hideously large data structures. Why such large data structures? Because I am looking for statistically significant short-term patterns across 3-years/5K stocks. I've run several months worth of round-the-clock simulations, several thousand distinct simulations overall. It's been very educational.

What are the goals in developing trading software? Some choose to design elegant GUIs with object-oriented real-time code to possibly sell to short-term traders. I'm more interested in trying to understand the market and make smarter trading decisions, using the richest, highest-level tools possible. I won't ever sell my systems. These two goals actually seem mutually exclusive, for obvious reasons. Would you sell a profitable system? Can any algorithmic-design GUI match the dexterity of handwritten code? Can a rich multi-variant trading system ever run real-time? Are in-depth market analyses better suited for longer-term positions?

Any ideas or criticism?

Jay

#25     Apr 14, 2002
  6. nitro

nitro

Yes. I like Mathematica as well, though because Matlab is closer in spirit to C/C++, the learning curve is easier for programmer types.

Using a high level tool in this manner is smart use of time.

nitro

#26     Apr 14, 2002
  7. God bless you if you did that, but I have been doing this for a long time, with a lot of different groups and I do not believe it unless you are talking about a minor subset; last sale on say NYSE.

Quite the contray to how some of my remarks seemed; I have no problem with hacked together solutions to get there first, we do that all the time, however you still need to spend the time on the basics, data acquisition, maintaining your databases, execution capability and it takes a very long time and is never done or completely.

Your technique falls apart on multiple systems trading multiple markets or a large number of symbols.

#27     Apr 14, 2002
  8. That is what I was saying; a small subset of the problem.

Try 125,000 option strikes with 1 to 5 exchanges that get added/deleted to monthly, however many equity symbols there are, maybe 50,000 with X number of ECNs or regional exchanges, through in 140 plus MM quoting and look @ the bid/ask in real time and now you got the problem. Forgot the futures markets and the foreign markets.

It cannot be done quickly, cheaply or on conventional PC set-up.

But, if you got a way, PM me and we will talk.

#28     Apr 14, 2002
  9. Hello,

i just do not think it makes sense to invent the wheel several times...

sorry if i am too direct. it is just my opinion.

maybe you (app.-developers) check out www.smartquant.com

you will find that many other brillant coders have tried
    what you want to do now - and they failed before, at least found
    nothing really exciting.

i knew of a software firm here in germany (forgot it's name - sorry), they employed 3 really brillant math guys who developed
    a neural net stragegy game - of course without any measurable success.

or check www.susq.com (susquenna or whatever it spells),
    one of the nations biggest priv. MM firms, they employ
    "innovative" technologies for a long time - and have they blown
    away the market - of course not - and this is like things will go on.

#29     Apr 14, 2002
  10. You don't think Susquehanna, Timber Hill or bunch of private trading firms you probably never heard of, haven't blown away the market with black box programs? Where have you been? They invented program trading and computer directed arbitrage.

#30     Apr 14, 2002