Holy Grail Strategy (knowledge vs. opinion)

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by RockRudy, Nov 9, 2006.

1. a) No.
    b) Depends on the traders needs and tolerances. I like yes as measured on a daily basis.
    c) No.
    d) No.

#31     Nov 10, 2006
  2. RockRudy

RockRudy

I still would like to challenge other successful traders to answer those questions.

Kiwi-trader:
    can you elaborate on point c). If a good and developed strategy cannot be left alone to trade with just a mere human supervision, what kind of human involvement is required? My point is that you call strategy a good one, but you still cannot leave it alone. While I am not refuting your answer I am looking for some elaboration.

Thank you.

#32     Nov 10, 2006
  3. Discretionary trading can be better than system trading because you can take context into account. I can program my triggers and basic exits but not all the contextual issues that take it from 50% win rate to 75% win rate.

And, like many, I enjoy trading.

#33     Nov 11, 2006
  4. Hi Rudy,

To answer your questions:

a) Money management is absolutely crucial - you could have an excellent system that generates superb entry signals, but if you trade those signals badly by over-investing or managing your exits poorly, then your excellent system is worth nothing.

b) Basically I would say yes - the system should work all the time on a specific market. If the rules of the market that you're trading change, then your system may have to change with it.

c) Yes and no - some mechanical strategies can be completely automated and left to run on something like Tradestation. Personally, I like to have some human input in my daily trading routine rather than rely on a computer 100% - I would say this is personal preference.

d) Not necessarily - I have traded a long-only system for the past 5 years with similar performance every year.

Hope this helps

Feel free to ask any more questions and I will do my best to answer them.

Thanks

Damian
    U.S. Share Trader

#34     Nov 11, 2006
  5. .

#35     Jan 1, 2013
  6. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

the holy grail has been found and implemented by many. its having an edge that makes the money that you require consistently. ~m

#36     Jan 1, 2013
  7. Probably the final analysis would be: see the AURYN here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Neverending_Story

"The two snakes represent the dual nature of the two worlds, Fantasia (German: Phantásien) and Reality,..."

#37     Jan 1, 2013
  8. S&R could be the Grail,if treated right

#38     Jan 1, 2013
  9. The holy grail is an unbeatable system, and that can only come if you spent a great deal of time on the Law of Vibration. If you don't believe me see that on 1/09 - 1/11 there should be a minor top.

#39     Jan 1, 2013
  10. kut2k2

kut2k2

If you reduce the definition of The Holy Grail to any consistently profitable trading system, that pretty much renders the definition meaningless.

I think the Holy Grail is best defined as the best possible trading system, which may not yet exist IRL but we'll never know for sure. Fortunately there are less-than-Grail systems that will still make money.

#40     Jan 1, 2013