Holy grail of ship wrecks - $17B in treasure found using AI UAV

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by WeToddDid2, May 22, 2018.

1. WeToddDid2

WeToddDid2

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...close-new-details-300-year-old-shipwreck.html
    • The San Jose off the coast of Colombia contains one of the most valuable hauls of treasure ever lost at sea
    • 62-gun, three-masted galleon, went down on June 8, 1708, with 600 people during a battle with British ships
    • REMUS 6000 autonomous robot used sonar to find the San Jose under 2,000 feet (600 metres) of water
    • Exact location of the shipwreck is secret due to a legal dispute regarding who owns the wealth of treasures
    The San Jose, found off the coast of Colombia, was located by an underwater autonomous vehicle (inset) operated by the Massachusetts-based Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. The San Jose (right), sunk by the Royal Navy, gained a reputation as the 'holy grail' of shipwrecks, and was carrying one of the most valuable hauls of treasure ever lost at sea. The 62-gun, three-masted galleon, went down on June 8, 1708, with 600 people on board as well as a treasure (left) of gold, silver and emeralds during a battle with British ships in the War of Spanish Succession. The San Jose was transporting the booty back to Spain to help finance its war of succession against Britain. The institution said it was keeping the discovery - made in 2015 - quiet out of respect for the Columbian government.

2. The secret is known, just look at where the Colombian Navy is sending their vessels to patrol.

jem and bookish like this.
  3. I’ve seen something like this before. Too bad someone came up with the holy grail, put in all the time and tech just to give Spain their treasure back.

4. zdreg

zdreg

one way or another the finders have to get a cut.

5. I wonder how much cocaine is also aboard - maybe a few tons.

6. I'm tired of the new trend of labeling everything "AI".

It reminds me of when "Cloud" became the popular term for stuff that people have been doing with computers for at least a decade.

Now suddenly everything that is kind of autonomous, or does voice recognition (a technology that's been around in one for or another since at least the 1980's ...), etc, suddenly it's all "artificial intelligence".

tommcginnis likes this.

7. The linked story never mentioned "artificial intelligence" or "AI" .

8. bookish

bookish

I wish I could double quadruple power slam like this post.

9. Sunken treasure is so 2000’s.
    Crypto is the new sunken treasure!
    Why go through all that work when you can just buy Bitcoin?
    Duh