Holy death ray batman!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by acronym, Jan 24, 2007.

1. http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N24424593.htm

Is this a good thing?
    you can bet your boots, if they have made one that can do this, they've probably already made one that can barbecue a camel at a mile.

Imagine that- no more need for ammunition, just zap an entire area, and break out the hamburger buns.

Thats the real objective in these things-nobody spends that much, just to disperse a mob .

54 degrees C, that pretty darn hot.........

2. The burning sensation is achieved by high-power energy waves that heat the skin to 130 degrees Fahrenheit. The pain ended as soon as the target jumped from the line of fire.

Don't wanna be wearing a leather suit with that thing pointed at you.
    :(

I wonder if me pocket survival mirror will reflect that wave right back at em? Or if the wave will penetrate my plastic poncho?

They'll never get me...NEVER!

3. You can run-but you cant fried:D !!

Unless they've discovered orgone, it must be some sort of focused microwave right?

I wonder if anyone see's the irony in testing it on journalists...........

lol-even the word "irony" is ironic:D , im on fire today-aaack, ive done it again:D

Who'da thunk a laser beam death ray could be so amusing:)

4. What, no one finds a laser beam death ray ethically problematic?

:eek:

5. Somehow I'm thinking more on how to protect oneself from such a weapon. But theres not alot of information on how it works.

For instance, will it get you if your inside your wood built house? how about your concrete house? or even a lead house?

What happens when its a narrow beam?

You see? Nobody can stop the bastards, so we have to find a way to protect ourselves (skin).
    Not that I believe that I'll ever be in a situation to where "they'll" use it on me, but you just never know. :(

6. Thats pretty much what i was thinking.

Either its an elaborate hoax, or the trillions of $ of black budget defense spending has come good, finally.

After the acoustic kitty, the personal troop vehicles, and sound ray testing, maybe they hit the jackpot finally.

There was a site that stated, it was in iraq, n -ow, ready for deployment......thats kinda scary, given other reports claim "by 2010".

Translation, it out there now, and being tested, just like every other war technology in the last 1000 yrs.

But yeah, what is it? It MUST be microwave, any physicists, scientists out there?

We already know they have been looking for the this holy grail for some time, 30 years odd.

As far as i know, 60 degreeC will cause significant , deep skin /flesh burns from any sort of prolonged exposure, many infants have died from bath scalds (re, serious burns)at this temperature.

I love how the burning sensation stopped, when they jumped out of the way.............so those poor sods who fall down, twist their ankle or get cramp......what happens to them?

"Freedom fries', huh?

7. dpt

dpt

It's microwave, supposedly a 95 GHz beam.

95 GHz is pretty high frequency: it corresponds to millimeter length (3.2 mm)
    waves. These will not penetrate the skin very deeply, probably less than a
    half-millimeter, or so.

I haven't done a real calculation of the penetration depth, since I don't have
    numbers for approximate skin resistance/capacitance immediately available, but
    less than a millimeter would be my best guess.

If I have it right, then deep skin burns are probably very unlikely to result,
    as long as the exposure to the beam is only for a short time, and the energy
    flux in the beam is not too high.

Being scalded by bath water is a somewhat different scenario: water has a
    large heat capacity, and the exposure to the bath water is for an extended
    period, so that high temperatures definitely do penetrate to deep skin layers.

There could well be problems with the system though, if you ask me. If the
    beam is simply left on and someone is unable to move out of it, then of course
    the skin stays at high temperature and heat will begin to flow inwards. There
    would be cooling of the skin, too, at the surface, but still, some heat must
    eventually flow in.

So I would imagine that the beam has to be turned off automatically after a
    relatively short time period, and of course, the power has to be strictly
    limited and appropriate to the range.

Also I imagine that people carrying metal objects such as coins might have a
    real problem due to local heating.

I'm not quite sure what the advantage would be over using more conventional
    crowd control tactics like water cannons.

8. Thanks dpt, most "illuminating", certainly could make for a "hot" debate.

Im about as knowlegable in these things, as the bird flying past my window is albert einstein, which isn 't exactly a high degree of probability.

So your best guess, is concentrated microwave?

The latent heat of water is significant, your saying, if it is what you think it is, it would be quite difficult to sustain skin/flesh melting scars from such a device?
    Unless you kinda fell into the path of it, unconcious, perhaps?

I have a scar on my arm, from a pizza tray, beleive it or not-i didnt even know id been burned for 10 minutes after.

I understand there are different kinds of heat involved, but this just doesnt sound too safe to me.

9. dpt

dpt

Yup: I think it must be a high intensity microwave projector/focusser,
    probably a few megawatts power (MW) at minimum to have a serious effect on a
    crowd of people at 500m.

Yes, the heat capacity (not the latent heat ... that's a different thing) of
    water is large. That's just a way of saying that a lot of heat energy has to
    be transferred out of the water to cool it down by very much, and the baby is
    just sitting in the water, so a lot of energy can transfer out of the water
    into the baby. Ultimately, the damage that's done in a burn, once you get to
    temperatures high enough to be a problem, is going to depend on the total
    energy that's transferred into the burned tissue.

I think it would be hard with this kind of device to transfer a great deal of
    energy as long as the power is not large, and as long as the beam is
    not left turned on for too long
    . Crank the power up to 1000 MW or
    something like that, and use it at the same range, or put someone right in
    front of the antenna and it could be a very different matter.

Nasty. It's strange how things like that can go unnoticed sometimes.

It really depends how they actually use the thing, I think. It certainly is
    potentially dangerous. All of these so-called non-lethal weapons
    seem to have problems when used in reality.

Of course, if the alternative is to open up on a crowd with live ammunition,
    that could be pretty dangerous too.