Hollywood stars open wallets for Obama

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AK Forty Seven, Jul 17, 2011.

1. http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0711/59184.html

President Barack Obama’s latest fundraising report resembles an A-list of Hollywood stars, with donations from some of the top celebrities in the entertainment industry.

Among the more than 550,000 donors to the president’s 2012 reelection bid were big-name movie stars including actors George Clooney, Michael Douglas, Sharon Stone, Michael Keaton, Tom Hanks and his wife Rita Wilson. Filmmaker Steven Spielberg and his wife, actress Kate Capshaw, also gave to the 2012 campaign, according to the latest Federal Election Commission report. Jennifer Garner and Gwyneth Paltrow both contributed under their married names —Affleck and Martin, respectively.

“30 Rock” actor Alec Baldwin, who has often toyed with a potential political run, also shelled out cash for Obama’s second-quarter fundraising haul. And several other TV actors — such as “Monk”’s Tony Shalhoub, “Glee”’s Jane Lynch, “24”’s president Dennis Haysbert and sci-fi stars Scott Bakula and Richard Dean Anderson — joined Baldwin in contributing to the president’s reelection bid.

Comedians Will Ferrell, Carl Reiner and “The Simpsons”’s Yeardley Smith also doled out money for Obama, whose campaign attracted a record-breaking $86 million in donations.

According to the July quarterly report, the president’s reelection campaign raised $47 million, while the Democratic National Committee raised $38 million through Obama’s joint committee.

About 40 percent of the president’s record-breaking take came from big-money bundlers, according to a POLITICO analysis of donors listed on Obama’s campaign web site. Among those bundlers were top Hollywood insiders Andy Spahn, Ari Emanuel and Jeffrey Katzenberg.

Spahn — an entertainment consultant who was appointed in 2008 to the President’s Commission on Arts and Humanities —brought in over $500,000 in the last quarter. Katzenberg, a Hollywood mogul and DreamWorks Animation CEO, also appears in the group of bundlers who’ve raised over $500,000.

Emanuel, who served as the inspiration for “Entourage”’s movie agent Ari Gold, raised between $50,000-$100,000 for his brother Rahm’s former boss.

Obama’s campaign also pulled in a number of other actors and familiar faces, such as Vanessa Williams, Anthony Edwards of “ER”, “Star Trek”’s John Cho, “House”’s Jennifer Morrison, “Cougar Town”’s Christa Miller, Brenda Strong of “Desperate Housewives” and Wayne Wilderson, the actor who portrays the grapes in Fruit of the Loom commercials.

2. Eight

Eight

I'd boycott Hollywood but those films they produce are so good sometimes... I can take a date to a PG13, sounds tame right? It will have nudity and sex, good ice breaker... If I want to I can go watch an action flick and when I walk out into the night be thinking "don't make me come through that windshield sucka".... besides, I love the smell of popcorn...

I'm socially conservative. I recall when the Gay Rights folk called for a boycott on Colorado. I had just gotten my budget approved for a lab so I spent it all in Colorado!! I wasn't the only one, Colorado actually went into a boom at that time!

The whole Saul Alinsky thing of making a lot of noise and acting like they are the majority, it doesn't have to work and it can generate blowback for them. I had a great opportunity to go after some AmeriBitch Leftist activist once, I killed off a source of her income that was illegal and her Lawyer paid me a nice little bonus to leave her alone.. She wanted to raise the taxes on my rental via the legal system and I wanted my money back ahead of time, it worked out fine :)

3. jem

jem

I think the quality of movies has gone down in the blockbuster area.

Seeing formulaic movies gets old after a while.
    When you really see a well done original idea, films are amazing.
    I have not had that experience much since terminator 1.

4. Lucrum

Lucrum

And this is supposed to make me want to do the same? :D

5. Maverick74

Maverick74

Nice to see who has bought and paid for Obama. There is nothing shocking about that list. Those are all the same hard core liberals that supported Kerry, Gore, Mondale, Dukakis, etc.