Holding Positions All Day!

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by si3b3n, Oct 17, 2005.

1. instead of seeking it on a daily basis, you want to wait for situations that says you can hold all day. one basic example is when there is consensus or widely held expectation that is CRUSHED by some sort of news event followed by tape confirm. on the first day the move has a high probability of going all the way to the close. most people do not perceive it on the first day tho and are afraid to chase. there is usually a followthru on the next day and the chance for some reversal increases. by the third day, when the rest of the world sees it, people jump on board and it has a high chance of reversing, breaking the backs of those who hold. markets are basically about expectations and then ebbs and flows like the tide according to it's trend..

#11     Oct 18, 2005
  2. Thanks Omni appreciate the help.

#12     Oct 18, 2005
  3. Well, if you can catch points everyday, then that is very good. I prefer to hit singles and doubles all day everyday with the occasional longball. I think my biggest cents trade this month is only 60 cents on one trade but I am up 15k for the month w/ 9 days to go so I guess singles and doubles works ok for now :D

#13     Oct 19, 2005
  4. Well, if you can catch points everyday, then that is very good. I prefer to hit singles and doubles all day everyday with the occasional longball. I think my biggest cents trade this month is only 60 cents on one trade but I am up 15k for the month w/ 9 days to go so I guess singles and doubles works ok for now :D

I would like to be able to learn how to catch bigger trades at some point.

#14     Oct 19, 2005
  5. lescor

lescor

I've been experimenting with a system for a while now that enters on the opening print and exits on the closing print. It only trades nyse securities which support limit and market orders that only execute on the first and last print of the day (LOO, MOO, LOC, MOC)

#15     Oct 19, 2005
  6. What kind of size are you using?

#16     Oct 19, 2005
  7. During the bubble, cab drivers used to buy ebay, yhoo, aol or something like that at the open drive around all day and sell at the close. those were the good ole days.

#17     Oct 19, 2005
  8. Good for you and to each their own ... :)

That's the problem with ET sometimes, to many traders in here get all defensive and think their way is the only way to trade.

I commend you for your open mindedness and good attitude.

#18     Oct 19, 2005
  9. As far as I am concerned, we can all be better traders and all learn something new from each other to apply to our own styles. I am pretty good at quick scalping the market, but know I need to work on learning to hold positions for the bigger moves. It will come with time...hopefully :D

#19     Oct 19, 2005
  10. Different mentality and personality dictate what fit you best.

Scalping style systems and setups are less profitable on a per trade basis, and if designed properly (or done properly), you will have more winning and scratch trades than real losing trades.

Holding all day systems / setups usually are more profitable on a per trade basis, but carry a higher risk.

Obviously scalping style also leads to many more net winning days than those that hold the positions for a longer period of time. You can call scalping style trading feel good trading if you want. :)

Personally I know many like to make bets based on longer term signals while doing their daytrading. To avoid mixing that up with the shorter term trading results - they use separate accounts.

#20     Oct 19, 2005