Holder: US is nation of cowards on racial matters

Discussion in 'Politics' started by swtrader, Feb 18, 2009.

1. WASHINGTON – Attorney General Eric Holder described the United States Wednesday as a nation of cowards on matters of race, saying most Americans avoid discussing awkward racial issues.

In a speech to Justice Department employees marking Black History Month, Holder said the workplace is largely integrated but Americans still self-segregate on the weekends and in their private lives.

"Though this nation has proudly thought of itself as an ethnic melting pot, in things racial we have always been and I believe continue to be, in too many ways, essentially a nation of cowards," said Holder, nation's first black attorney general.

Race issues continue to be a topic of political discussion, Holder said, but "we, as average Americans, simply do not talk enough with each other about race."

He urged people of all races to use Black History Month as a chance for honest discussion of racial matters, including issues of health care, education, and economic disparities.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090218/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/holder_race

I think there's really something wrong with white Americans, not wanting to spend their free time apoligising for things their ancestors actually DIDNT do, while having 40 years of hard core 'reparations' completely ignored

at least white guys arent 'cowards' about raising their own children

2. Pat Buchanan's answer, a year ago

Barack says we need to have a conversation about race in America.

Fair enough. But this time, it has to be a two-way conversation. White America needs to be heard from, not just lectured to.

This time, the Silent Majority needs to have its convictions, grievances and demands heard. And among them are these:

First, America has been the best country on earth for black folks. It was here that 600,000 black people, brought from Africa in slave ships, grew into a community of 40 million, were introduced to Christian salvation, and reached the greatest levels of freedom and prosperity blacks have ever known.

Wright ought to go down on his knees and thank God he is an American.

Second, no people anywhere has done more to lift up blacks than white Americans. Untold trillions have been spent since the ’60s on welfare, food stamps, rent supplements, Section 8 housing, Pell grants, student loans, legal services, Medicaid, Earned Income Tax Credits and poverty programs designed to bring the African-American community into the mainstream.

Governments, businesses and colleges have engaged in discrimination against white folks — with affirmative action, contract set-asides and quotas — to advance black applicants over white applicants.

Churches, foundations, civic groups, schools and individuals all over America have donated time and money to support soup kitchens, adult education, day care, retirement and nursing homes for blacks.

We hear the grievances. Where is the gratitude?

Barack talks about new “ladders of opportunity” for blacks.

Let him go to Altoona and Johnstown, and ask the white kids in Catholic schools how many were visited lately by Ivy League recruiters handing out scholarships for “deserving” white kids.

Is white America really responsible for the fact that the crime and incarceration rates for African-Americans are seven times those of white America? Is it really white America’s fault that illegitimacy in the African-American community has hit 70 percent and the black dropout rate from high schools in some cities has reached 50 percent?

Is that the fault of white America or, first and foremost, a failure of the black community itself?

As for racism, its ugliest manifestation is in interracial crime, and especially interracial crimes of violence. Is Barack Obama aware that while white criminals choose black victims 3 percent of the time, black criminals choose white victims 45 percent of the time?

Is Barack aware that black-on-white rapes are 100 times more common than the reverse, that black-on-white robberies were 139 times as common in the first three years of this decade as the reverse?

We have all heard ad nauseam from the Rev. Al about Tawana Brawley, the Duke rape case and Jena. And all turned out to be hoaxes. But about the epidemic of black assaults on whites that are real, we hear nothing.

Sorry, Barack, some of us have heard it all before, about 40 years and 40 trillion tax dollars ago.

http://buchanan.org/blog/2008/03/pjb-a-brief-for-whitey/

3. hughb

hughb

Here we go again.

"we need to have a national discussion on race".

Tell it to the local paper here in San Diego, the Union/Tribune. A couple of years ago there was a horrible home invasion rape/robbery. When the U/T reported it, they refused to publish the description of the suspects who were at large at the time. You would think that a paper would gladly report suspect descriptions when they are as dangerous as that. The suspects were black, and when the U/T defended it's ommision of that, they claimed that they do not release descriptions unless a certain number of criteria have been met. Well, it turns out that the paper was given full descriptions, clothing, race, heights/weights. The paper flat out lied when they said they had not been given full descriptions, and they endangered the community for no other reason than political correctness.

The U/T also ran a story on homeless beatings. They were covering a rash of homeless beatings by thrill seeking teenagers across the nation. In the article it was specifially mentioned that most of the crimes were committed by white teenage males, and stated that in violation of their own policy on discussing criminal descriptions.

4. "You would think that a paper would gladly report suspect descriptions when they are as dangerous as that."

they dont give robbery suspects in my mostly white area, because robbery suspect descriptions, are 'racist'

5. I think this guy holder has opened the door for 'politically incorrect' views on race

once you call people 'cowards' for their silence, you cant enforce thought police on those you forced to speak their mind

.....or is that what he, as the new attourney general has in mind?

6. Come on, don't be intimidated.

Use the N word to your heart's content.

You will really feel so much better.

Watch the movie "Network" and then go to your window, open it up, and scream:

"I am mad as hell and I am not going to take the "N....ers" any more.

7. nice try, but I already expressed my opinion via pat buchanan's columm

but that goes over your head, doesnt it, you think only in comic book stereotypes

the point of this thread, is that political correcteness just crossed a new line - attacking silence as 'racist', because there're arent any more differing public opinions for them to intimidate

8. Come on, I can feel the rage in you.

Go to the window, open it up, and let all that rage out:

"I am mad as hell and I am not going to take the N...er shit any more."

9. "OPTIONAL777 added to your ignore list"

sorry, i only go one round with trolls - i'm not going to debate with somone who re-uses schtick

10. Oh, the shame, oh the pain.

Being put on ignore, a public dramatic slamming down the phone like a teenage girl...

What to do, what to do...

#10     Feb 18, 2009