Hold Brothers

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by giladbi, Feb 24, 2004.

1. peerless

peerless

Hey Hibid3 (or anyone), any thoughts on the jersey city branch? I am looking at Hold right now. Are you retail or prop? and if prop any comment on the training, setup etc....

#31     Mar 3, 2004
  2. I've seen this model, and it doesn't work well, especially upon dissolution or a major blow out.

The order of priority is nebulous, and most accounts will be lost, should dissolution occur, including customer accounts.

See if the customer accounts are insured with any of the SIPC's or others.

#32     Mar 4, 2004
  3. alanm

alanm

Is it really allowed to have retail accounts that are not SIPC-insured? I thought this was required by either the SROs or SEC. Seems like it would be hard to get customers without it. The question has always been whether or not a broker has bought a supplemental policy to cover up to $500K, $1M, etc., not whether they have the base SIPC coverage.

#33     Mar 4, 2004
  4. go to sipc.org and you will see that hold is a member. no one in their right mind would put up all the trouble of starting a brokerage w/o being a member of sipc.

#34     Mar 4, 2004
  5. peerless

peerless

what is a better model- prop only and retail only or are you saying something else? Also where would you guys recommend a place to start?

Just trying to figure all this out- Thanks.

#35     Mar 5, 2004
  6. speedboy

speedboy

Impossible to live in NYC for 40k a year if you're single.

#36     Mar 5, 2004
  7. Mecro

Mecro

If you have no self control.

#37     Mar 7, 2004
  8. HighBid3

HighBid3

even with self control $40K a year is nothing.
    Take out taxes, you are looking at a figure close to $30,000

Rent is around $12K, $15 a day in food, misc expenses, actually having a life, you are talking about being in debt before the year is over. :(

#38     Mar 7, 2004
  9. $30K? When city, state and federal taxes all hit, I think its less than that for the aforementioned single person (unless he or she has some heavy deductions).

#39     Mar 7, 2004
  10. ertrader1

ertrader1 Guest

WHAT , LOL i am from Manhattan, and there is no place you can live on the Island for 40k a year, with a family,.......you could live maby 125 street, but even Harlom is coming around in parts.

You could live in BROOKLYN for 40k, there are some artist areas, HELL you could live on Stat. Island with the trash dumps for 40k i think.

BUT NO WAY IN HELL ARE YOU GONA LIVE AN OK LIFE on 40K in Manhattan.........sorry I call bullshit on that. Well, maby if you live outside in a cardbord box by CROBAR........40k might do it.

#40     Mar 7, 2004