HOFSTRA UNIVERSITY - trading room 34 bloombergs

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Copernicus, Aug 17, 2005.

1. they just opened a brand new trading room with 34 bloombergs

is that the best academic trading room or not?

i think its amazing that a local school like that has 34 bloombergs, i remember NYU had one a while back.

2. Maverick74

Maverick74

Not sure. Baruch College in NY was one of the first schools in the country to create a trading curriculum as well as a real live state of the art trading floor.

http://aux.zicklin.baruch.cuny.edu/sfsc/index.htm

3. looks good, cool courses they offer. there are few other schools with "trading rooms" too, but they usually have entitlements to 2, 3 maybe 5 bloombergs. the 34 at Hofstra must be #1 in the country, maybe in the world for academics. they must have cut some kind of a deal, or got a bigtime sponsor, thats more likely. Hey maybe Frank Zarb is paying out of his AIG expense account for this? :)

4. Why is this thread in the Chit Chat, this belongs up there in Trading or Career Trader.

That said, some ivy league schools still have 1 bloomberg terminal.

And I just think they don't need that many bloomies, since you cannot trade off of it. But, its free for students, so who is going to complain.

5. yeah they even allow students to get bloomberg certifications.
    anyway, im impressed.

6. tomcole

tomcole

Why bother?

With these SATs, no serious firms will recruit there for good jobs -

Hofstra Average SAT scores:
    V 535 M 535

Baruch - average SAT scores of 1107

Maybe they intend to recruit techs who have seen the system, not traders.

7. you are missing a major point. both of these schools have massive alumni on wall street that would put to shame a lot of the better recognized schools.

8. tomcole

tomcole

Umm, you should go do a google on how many kids GS, etc recruited from which schools. Having 30,40,50, 1,000 b-berg terminals wont change their recruiting efforts.

9. Ebo

Ebo

My new trading arcade!

If I enroll as a non-matriculated student in Zarb @ a cost of $670/credit hour X 4, it will only cost me $446/month for an annualized "desk fee" for a Bloomie!

Anybody wanna enroll with me?

#10     Aug 18, 2005