Hoboken, NJ

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by CoralReef, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Again, JC has good parts and bad parts. Manhattan has the financial district at one end, midtown, but Harlem at the other end. Live in Greenville? NO. But I have been to JC and Hoboken a number of times, and what I said before is based on experience, not on "gee, Hoboken rocks."

#31     Jul 7, 2009
  2. Apparently you are the only person in the world who has been to both JC and Hoboken and would choose to live in JC.

Here's a tip- Better brush up on your Spanish b/c English is a second language in many parts of JC.

Adios amigo. :)

#32     Jul 7, 2009
  3. Quote from Clubber Lang:

Apparently you are the only person in the world who has been to both JC and Hoboken and would choose to live in JC.

Ah the generalizer - knows "several people" and therefore can apply it to "all people" Better brush up on your statistics and logic.

Here's a tip- Better brush up on your Spanish b/c English is a second language in many parts of JC.

And so do some people in Hoboken. There is nothing wrong with people who speak a different language. My neighbor speaks primarily Spanish - he is from northwest Spain.

This thread is not about the wealthy; they are nothing special nor are they more important. You use this like an insult; it only makes you look like a bigot. I had a higher opinion you of you before that slur.

I have been in both places enough, and my previous posts are accurate. Yes there are parts of JC that are not good - I think I already said that 2-3 times. Why are you playing Devil's Advocate??? And there are parts of JC that are good and similar to Hoboken.

I am not interested in playing tennis with people who decide to be on the other side of the issue

Seriously. And this last post of yours was of very little value. I do not plan to read your next one(s). Move along.

#33     Jul 7, 2009
  4. Here's some statistics and logic for you-

We are 6 pages into this thread, and you are THE ONLY person who thinks JC is even remotely as good as Hoboken.

You clearly can't understand when you have been proven wrong.

Enjoy Jersey City.

I will continue to enjoy Hoboken.

#34     Jul 7, 2009
  5. cstfx

cstfx

I live in the Newport section of JC. That's petty much the high-rise towers you see directly across from Canal st. Living here has it good and bad features:

good: Path station 2 minute walk - gets me downtown quicker than just about any other subway stop in NYC
    bad: you have to pass thru the pathetic hole-in-the-ground to get anywhere once you disembark in the city

good: The residential towers are fully staffed doorman buildings (comes in handy when you receive packages and such) plus 24 hr on site security. Also parking in each building for your car and guests
    bad: these doormen suck

good: Newport has some good open areas and real green grass to get between your toes. Also has a waterfront walkway that gives you unparalleled views of Manhattan (seriously, would you rather have the lower Manhattan views of Jersey or the JC views of the city? c'mon, it's a no brainer)

good: there's a mall right there for your convenience
    bad: there's a mall right there for your convenience

good: there's a bunch of ethnic restaurants for your pleasure
    bad: provided of course that you only eat Indian food and you love (I mean LOVE) the smell of curry - on your clothes, in your hair, in the hall, in the pool at the gym. This area of JC has become little India because GS and Morgan and all the other shops rent apartments for their contract workers to stay when they are here for their 3-6 month contracts.

There are generally 2 distinct personalities to Jersey City: near the water and slightly behind the mall you will find your typical yuppies and other urban professionals, most who work in the city or in one of the local office towers. Further east, you find what is known as the proverbial other side of the tracks, the local residents who have not had the opportunities to attain a better situation for themselves and their families. Crime stats are higher in this area and sometimes spills down into the Gold Coast area by the water, but having lived in New Brunswick for many years, I've seen worse.

If you are looking or a more homogeneous racial color (white) then you'd be better served in Hoboken. If you want more flavor, try JC.

#35     Jul 7, 2009
  6. cstfx

cstfx

BTW, not the first time I have seen something like this, but why don't all you trading geniuses change the settings in your profile to display more posts per page so you all don't have these ungodly large page numbers to sort thru? I can imagine how you get thru something like one of the Journal threads with these small numbers/page!

#36     Jul 7, 2009
  7. Mine is still only on page 1. You are correct that it is much easier to use in the longer page format

#37     Jul 8, 2009
  8. Some thoughts on Hoboken, from its people:

--- Mr Roberts should resign as mayor of Hoboken. There have been NO park space built according to the Master Plan. We are still waiting for this mythical Pier C that was supposed to have been under construction by now. Plus, the 1600 Park Ave “park” hasn’t even been started despite having funds alloted to it for at least a year. And the southwest section of Hoboken was promised a 6 acre park and, even though some groups are pushing hard for open space, they hardly can claim to get 1.5 acres of continuous space.

--- Over paid city employees like the fire and police commissioners. One board of education member is reported to get paid $180,000 a year. Many of these city employees have a conflict of interest with the public good; they either own construction companies, consulting firms, law firms, or real estate - many of them landlords.

--- We have no parking solution. Thousands of condos are going up but little parking to accommodate them. It has become a safety issue as people are hurt left and right by hit and runs - possibly due to the poor visibility drivers face when navigating our streets. Plus, the one parking solution that could have worked was botched when the city prematurely and poorly executed the take over of the automated garage on Garden Street.

--- Despite the Freedom of Information Act, the Citizens for Open Government, and other safe guards, the city of Hoboken refuses to provide its tax payers with information requested regarding land deals, abatements, legal contracts, and other financial transactions. When a few documents were released, they blacked out most of the text making the act of releasing the document of waste of paper, ink, money, time, effort, etc. In effect, they deliberately withhold information to the public - even when asked to disclose it!!

--- Sewage problems. Letting the sewer system get this dilapidated is egregious! Hoboken has been fighting floods for YEARS! And with the uncontrolled construction - courtesy of this administration - it has made it worse. Moreover, there is no natural place for the water to go (i.e. parks) and the 80 to 120 year old system can’t handle it all. When the town floods, you drive through or walk in water contaminated with human feces; typhoid fever and bubonic plague are just a few infectious diseases that can be transmitted that way. I’m surprised the CDC hasn’t knocked on the Mayor’s door yet.

--- Complete and total financial mismanagement. We never have a balanced budget without some sort of “sneaky” deal to sell municipal property, back-door deals, or special tax shelters. There are always these abatements given to developers for “one time” tax payments that plug the shortfalls but that model assumes constant construction will happen; with the real estate market taking a hit, growth slows. In fact, there is at least one project that has stopped all together and now it looks like a total waste that attracts pests and other things. The government doesn’t cut spending either - especially to the highest paid people like the ones I mention above; we still have 4 arts festivals a year but we can’t balance the budget. Plus, there are inefficiencies in the way money is spent; has anyone thought of using mechanized street cleaning instead of paying someone to shovel it in a can? The cost of one machine is less than that of a person when you factor health plans, pension, and salaries. Also, the town doesn’t capitalize on revenue like it should; 10 or 12 dollars a year for parking is stupid when you can charge at least 50 a year and it might even cut down on the cars which helps solve the parking problem; have they even studied supply and demand? And one last point on the money mismanagement: total government shutdown. Remember that? Yeah… I do… what an embarrassment!

--- Man, I can’t seem to find something nice t say about Hoboken lately. Today’s gripe is about the horrible state of the roads. Nearly EVERY section of town has roads that need complete repaving. And not just surface refinishing. I’m talking about the major dig up some earth, level everything, and start all over kind of repaving.

--- Obviously, the worst of it is were there is major construction going on - lots of development (sigh, another sore spot) in the north west section of town. I can understand and even forgive the bad conditions around there because there is much to be completed. Although, I wonder if they are ever going to finish given the sad real estate market right now. But still, I can accept the fact that construction equipment damages vehicular infrastructures and can wait for construction to finish before taking things too seriously.

--- But in other sections of town, there is no excuse - especially on Washington Street!. By Sky Club, if your car doesn’t have a lift suspension or can’t take a 45 degree incline like a Jeep or Hummer, you scrape the bottom of your car as you drive around it. There’s a guy/girl who owns a Ferrari in the Sky Club Garage… I don’t even know how he can get his car in the garage let alone drive around in Hoboken with it. Washington Street, while busy, is never flat. Sure, its hard to perform maintenance on it but, come on!!! It’s like driving off-road!!

--- I can’t wait until the city repaves everything. Until it does, I’m parking my car somewhere else. Maybe that’s the mayor’s answer to the parking problem - make the roads so piss poor that you wreck all the cars that park on the streets forcing owners to live park somewhere else

--- Our town, where the parking is SO BAD that, to find a spot, you have to block intersections and prevent firefighters from saving lives. It also says something about our enforcement (or lack thereof) when people know they can get away with park illegally. It’s about time the city of Hoboken crack down on illegal parkers. Fine them, ticket them, tow them.

#38     Jul 8, 2009
  9. this breakdown shows me supply/demand at work........people willing to live in the land where corruption reigns supreme,North Jersey,despite it`s faults & inconveniences....they continue to tolerate it & pay up.

thanks for the inquiries on the apt....but it went quick as usual.

One thing JC does have that `boken does`nt is a Communapaw ave.......where even the cops expect to be shot at after 2am.

#39     Jul 8, 2009
  10. Yes, ya gotta love Hoboken...

2 NJ mayors, lawmaker arrested in corruption case

NEWARK, N.J. – The mayors of two New Jersey cities and a state legislator are under arrest Thursday as part of a major corruption and international money laundering conspiracy probe.

Federal prosecutors say about 30 people have been arrested in the two-track investigation. They include Assemblyman Daniel Van Pelt, Hoboken Mayor Peter Cammarano III and Secaucus Mayor Dennis Elwell.

A news conference is scheduled for noon at the U.S. attorney's office in Newark.

Newark Mayor Cory Booker, who has fought corruption in New Jersey' largest city, says it's "an unbelievable morning so far."

No other information is immediately available.

#40     Jul 23, 2009